Background: U.S. Impact on the Cuba-CARICOM Relationship
This chapter highlights the main aspects of the relationship between Cuba and its CARICOM neighbors and explores some of the underlying factors that challenge Cuba-CARICOM relations. The shifting geo-political climate since the end of the Cold War and the declining geo-strategic significance of the Caribbean to the United States played a role in the Cuba-CARICOM relationship. The opening up of the global economy in the 1990s allowed for greater trade exchanges and cooperation between Cuba and CARICOM. However, several factors continue to hinder further advancement of the relationship, principally the persistence of the embargo and the fear of breaching it.
KeywordsCuba-CARICOM relations Cuba-CARICOM diplomatic relations Cuba-CARICOM trade U.S. embargo
- Byron, Jessica. 2014. Development Regionalism in Crisis? Rethinking CARICOM, Deepening Relations with Latin America. Caribbean Journal of International Relations & Diplomacy 2 (4): 23–50.Google Scholar
- CARICOM. 2004. CARICOM and Cuba to Celebrate Thirty-Two Years of Relations. Press Release. December 6, 2004. Accessed February 7, 2019. http://caricom.org/media-center/communications/press-releases/caricom-and-cuba-to-celebrate-thirty-two-years-of-relations.
- ———. 2017. Final Declaration: Fifth Meeting of Ministers of Foreign Affairs of CARICOM and the Republic of Cuba 2017. Accessed February 3, 2019. http://caricom.cubaminrex.cu/article/final-declaration-fifth-meeting-ministers-foreign-affairs-caricom-and-republic-cuba.
- CARICOM Press Releases. 2017. More Opportunities Provided for Private Sector as CARICOM, Cuba Expand Duty-Free Market Access. CARICOM, November 10. Accessed March 3, 2019. https://caricom.org/media-center/communications/press-releases/more-opportunities-provided-for-private-sector-as-caricom-cuba-expand-duty-free-market-access.
- CARICOM and Republic of Cuba. 2001. Trade and Economic Co-Operation Agreement Between the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and the Government of the Republic of Cuba. Accessed July 18, 2017. http://investmentpolicyhub.unctad.org/Download/TreatyFile/2498.
- Erisman, Michael H. 1994. Evolving Cuban-CARICOM Relations: A Comparative Cost/Benefit Analysis. Presentation at the Annual Conference of the Caribbean Studies Association, Merida, Mexico, May 23–28.Google Scholar
- Girvan, Norman. 2012. The Caribbean and Cuba: Cuba and the Caribbean: A Reflection. Panel Discussion at the Havana International Book Fair, Havana, Cuba, February 11, 2012.Google Scholar
- González Núñez, Gerardo. 2002. Cuba’s Relations with the Caribbean: Trends and Future Prospects. Executive Summary. FOCAL, September. Accessed February 3, 2019. http://www.focal.ca/pdf/cuba_Gonzalez_Cuban%20relations%20Caribbean%20trends%20prospects_September%202002_RFC-02-2.pdf.
- Grabendorff, Wolf. 2017. Cuba: The Challenges of Change. Cuba y el proceso de actualización en la era de Trump in Pensamiento Propio 45: 33–56.Google Scholar
- Johnson, Jovan. 2016. Further Delays for CARICOM-Cuba Revised Trade Agreement Signing. The Gleaner, July 6, 2016. Accessed February 7, 2019. http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20160706/further-delays-caricom-cuba-revised-trade-agreement-signing.
- Lall, Raphael John. 2012. T&T Braves Embargo to Attend Cuba Trade Fair. The Business Guardian, November 15, 2012.Google Scholar
- Martínez Reinosa, Milagros. 2015. Las relaciones de Cuba con la Comunidad del Caribe (CARICOM): contando la historia y pensando el futuro. In El ALBA-TCP: origen y fruto del nuevo regionalismo latinoamericano y caribeño, compiled by Maribel Aponte García and Gloria Amézquita Puntiel and edited by Pablo Gentili, 193–237. Buenos Aires: El Consejo Latinoamericano de Ciencias Sociale (CLACSO).Google Scholar
- Sputnik. 2018. Presidente cubano llega a Jamaica para asistir a 39 Reunión de Caricom. July 5, 2018. Accessed March 3, 2019. https://mundo.sputniknews.com/america-latina/201807051080179324-diaz-canel-en-jamaica-cumbre-caricom/.
- Trade Wins. 2000. Trade and Economic Cooperation Between CARIFORUM and Cuba. Critical Issues for Business. Accessed February 9, 2019. http://carib-export.com/login/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Trade%20and%20Economic%20Cooperation%20between%20Cariforum%20and%20Cuba.pdf.
- United Nations General Assembly. 1992. Necessity of Ending the Economic, Commercial and Financial Embargo Imposed by the United States of America against Cuba, a/RES/47/19, November 24, 1992. Accessed February 9, 2019. https://www.un.org/documents/ga/res/47/a47r019.htm.
- ———. 1993. Yearbook of the United Nations 1992, Volume 46. Dordrecht: Martinu Nijhoff Publishers. Accessed March 11, 2019. https://www.unmultimedia.org/searchers/yearbook/page.jsp?bookpage=1&volume=1992.