Interrogating Regional Integration Worldwide
This chapter focuses on regionalism in its various forms—regional cooperation and regional integration initiatives—and examines the evolution of regionalism at the global level. The chapter also provides emerging anti-regionalism tendencies in some parts of the world. This serves to provide the backdrop for discussing Cuba’s changing relations with the United States and the implications for Cuba-CARICOM cooperation and economic relations.
KeywordsRegionalism Regional integration Regional cooperation Nationalism Brexit President Trump
- Byron, Jessica. 2015. Una perspectiva caribeña sobre el regionalismo: ¿cuál es el rol de la CELAC? In El ALBA-TCP: origen y fruto del nuevo regionalismo latinoamericano y caribeño, compiled by Maribel Aponte García and Gloria Amézquita Puntiel and edited by Pablo Gentili, 147–169. Buenos Aires: El Consejo Latinoamericano de Ciencias Sociales (CLACSO).Google Scholar
- Colgan, Jeff D., and Robert O. Keohane. 2017. The Liberal Order Is Rigged: Fix It Now or Watch It Wither. Foreign Affairs 96 (3) (May/June). Accessed January 5, 2019. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/world/2017-04-17/liberal-order-rigged.
- Council for Hemispheric Affairs. 2013. 21st Century Regionalism: Where Is Latin America Headed? September 3, 2013. Accessed June 7, 2017. http://www.coha.org/21st-century-regionalism-where-is-latin-america-headed/.
- Della Ventura, Lucas. 2016. Brexit: The UK’s Isolationist Fantasy. The Hill, June 30, 2016. Accessed June 9, 2017. http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/international-affairs/286000-brexit-the-uks-isolationist-fantasy.
- Elving, Ron. 2018. What Is a Nationalist in the Age of Trump? National Public Radio (NPR), October 24, 2018. Accessed December 21, 2018. https://www.npr.org/2018/10/24/660042653/what-is-a-nationalist-in-the-age-of-trump.
- Ethier, Wilfred J. 1998. The New Regionalism. The Economic Journal, 108 (July): 1149–1161. Accessed June 9, 2017. http://www.china-up.com:8080/international/case/case/1431.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fanta, Emmanuel, Timothy M. Shaw, and Vanessa T. Tang. 2013. Comparative Regionalisms for Development in the 21st Century: Insights from the Global South. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Fawcett, Louise. 1995. Regionalism in Historical Perspective. In Regionalism in World Politics: Regional Organization and International Order, ed. Louise Fawcett and Andrew Hurrell, 9–36. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Friedman, George. 2016. 3 Reasons Brits Voted for Brexit. Forbes, July 5, 2016. Accessed December 21, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnmauldin/2016/07/05/3-reasons-brits-voted-for-brexit/#47650b01f9d6.
- Fukuyama, Francis. 2016. US Against the World? Trump’s America and the New Global Order. Financial Times, November 11, 2016. Accessed December 21, 2018. https://www.ft.com/content/6a43cf54-a75d-11e6-8b69-02899e8bd9d1.
- Henökl, Thomas. 2017. Trump, Brexit, Populism – Wither Multilateralism and Liberal World Order? The Current Column, January 20, 2017. Accessed June 11, 2018. https://www.die-gdi.de/en/the-current-column/article/trump-brexit-populism-wither-multilateralism-and-liberal-world-order/.
- Hettne, Björn, and Fredrik Söderbaum. 1998. The New Regionalism Approach. Politeia 17 (3): 6–21.Google Scholar
- Krauthammer, Charles. 2017. Trump’s Foreign Policy Revolution. The Washington Post, January 26, 2017. Accessed June 9, 2017. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/trumps-foreign-policy-revolution/2017/01/26/c69268a6-e402-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html?utm_term=.13341128f5bb.
- Lingberg, Leon N. 1963. The Political Dynamics of European Economic Integration. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Murray, Douglas. 2016. From Brexit to Trump: Giving the Elites a Hard Kick. Foreign Affairs, November 10, 2016. Accessed January 3, 2019. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2016-11-10/brexit-trump.
- Reuters. 2018. Explained: What Is Brexit and Why Does It Matter? New Straits Times, December 18, 2018. Accessed December 21, 2018. https://www.nst.com.my/world/2018/12/441915/explained-what-brexit-and-why-does-it-matter.
- Riley, Alan, and Francis Ghilès. 2016. BREXIT: Causes and Consequences. Notes Internacionals, 159 (October). Barcelona Centre for International Affairs (CIDOB). Accessed December 20, 2018. https://www.cidob.org/publicaciones/serie_de_publicacion/notes_internacionals/n1_159/brexit_causes_and_consequences.
- Sanahuja, José Antonio. 2010. Post-Liberal Regionalism: S-S Cooperation in Latin America and the Caribbean. Poverty in Focus, 20 (April): 17–19. International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth Poverty Practice, Bureau for Development Policy, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Accessed December 17, 2018. http://www.ipc-undp.org/pub/IPCPovertyInFocus20.pdf.
- Serbin, Andrés. 2017. When Cuba Went Regional: Latin American Post-Liberal Regionalism and Cuban Foreign Policy. Pensamiento Propio 45: 111–142. Accessed December 18, 2018. http://www.cries.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/008-serbin.pdf.
- Stallings, Barbara, ed. 1995. Global Change, Regional Response: The New International Context of Development. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar