Building Dynamic Stiffness Matrix Library of Flexure Members for Use in a Dynamic Stiffness Model of Compliant Mechanisms
Based on our studies on the kinetostatic and dynamic modeling of compliant mechanisms with a dynamic stiffness method, this paper continues to build the dynamic stiffness matrix library for common flexure members, so as to make the technique competent for all kinds of compliant mechanisms. Designers can choose suitable dynamic stiffness matrix from the library to analyze the kinetostatics and dynamics of their involved mechanisms. One can also rebuild a customized dynamic stiffness matrix and readily add it into the library thanks to the unified definition and regular form. In this way, the concurrent kinetostatics and dynamics of complex compliant mechanisms with hybrid flexible beams, flexure hinges and rigid bodies can be analyzed straightforwardly in a statics-similar manner. A micro-gripper from the previous literature is used as the case study to verify the proposed approach. The results show the concise modeling procedure of the presented method with high prediction accuracy.
KeywordsCompliant Mechanisms Flexure Hinges Nano-Positioning Stage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China [grant number 51705487] and the National Defense Technology Program of China [grant number JSHS2018212C001].
- 1.Li, Y.M., Xu, Q.S.: Development and assessment of a novel decoupled XY parallel micropositioning platform. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 15(1), 125-135 (2010).Google Scholar
- 2.Fleming, A.J., Yong, Y.K.: An ultrathin monolithic XY nanopositioning stage constructed from a single sheet of piezoelectric material. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 22(6), 2611-2618 (2017).Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, W.L., Zhang, X.M., Li, H.: Nonlinear analysis and optimal design of a novel piezoelectric-driven compliant microgripper. Mechanism and Machine Theory 118, 32-52 (2017).Google Scholar
- 4.Han, Y.M., Han, C.H., Kim, W.H.: Control performances of a piezoactuator direct drive valve system at high temperatures with thermal insulation. Smart Materials and Structures 25, 097003 (2016).Google Scholar
- 5.Howell, L.L.: Compliant mechanisms. John Wiley & Sons (2001).Google Scholar
- 6.Lobontiu, N.: Compliance-based matrix method for modeling the quasi-static response of planar serial flexure-hinge mechanisms. Precision Engineering 38(3), 639-650 (2014).Google Scholar
- 7.Ling, M.X., Cao, J.Y., Howell, L.L.: Kinetostatic modeling of complex compliant mechanisms with serial-parallel substructures: A semi-analytical matrix displacement method. Mechanism and Machine Theory 125, 169-184 (2018).Google Scholar
- 8.Ling, M.X., Cao, J.Y., Zeng, M.H.: Enhanced mathematical modeling of the displacement amplification ratio for piezoelectric compliant mechanisms. Smart Materials and Structures 25(7), 22-32 (2016).Google Scholar
- 9.Awtar, S., Sen, S.: A generalized constraint model for two-dimensional beam flexures: Nonlinear load-displacement formulation. ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 132(8), 081008 (2010).Google Scholar
- 10.Chen, G., Bai R.: Modeling large spatial deflections of slender bisymmetric beams in compliant mechanisms using chained spatial-beam constraint model. ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics 8(4), 041011 (2016).Google Scholar
- 11.Turkkan, Su, H.J.: A general and efficient multiple segment method for kinetostatic analysis of planar compliant mechanisms. Mechanism and Machine Theory 112, 205-217 (2017).Google Scholar
- 12.Ryu, J.W., Lee, S.Q., Gweon, D.G.: Inverse kinematic modeling of a coupled flexure hinge mechanism. Mechatronics 9(6), 657-674 (1999).Google Scholar
- 13.Tian, Y.L., Shirinzadeh, B., Zhang, D.W.: Three flexure hinges for compliant mechanism designs based on dimensionless graph analysis. Precision Engineering 34, 92-100 (2010).Google Scholar
- 14.Ling, M.X., Howell, L.L., Cao, J.Y.: A pseudo-static model for dynamic analysis on frequency domain of distributed compliant mechanisms. ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics 10 (5), 051011 (2018).Google Scholar
- 15.Ling, M.X, Cao, J.Y., Pehrson, N.: Kinetostatic and dynamic analyses of planar compliant mechanisms with a two-port dynamic stiffness model. Precision Engineering, (2018). Under review.Google Scholar
- 16.Banerjee, J.R., Papkov, S.O., Liu X.: Dynamic stiffness matrix of a rectangular plate for the general case. Journal of Sound and Vibration 342, 177-199 (2015).Google Scholar
- 17.Ling, M.X., Chen, S.L., Li, Q.S.: Dynamic stiffness matrix for free vibration analysis of flexure hinges based on non-uniform Timoshenko beam. Journal of Sound and Vibration 437(22), 40-52 (2018).Google Scholar