Use of a snow cannon to test effect of different coatings for adhesion of snow in railway applications
This paper describes implementation of a snow cannon for testing different coatings for adhesion of snow in railway applications. A spray of snow is targeted to a test plate and the accumulated mass of snow is measured. The test plate can be coated with e.g. an ice-phobic coating to test the effect of coating on adhesion of snow. Exploitation of a snow cannon for this purpose is straightforward, but certain parameters need to be measured and starts and stops of the cannon need to be precisely controlled to produce repeatable measurements. The snow cannon needs water and air supply in order to operate. These need to be measured and the flow of water and air in the cannon need to be adjusted carefully to be able to produce consistent spray of snow. The snow cannon was assembled in a cold laboratory, whose temperature could be precisely adjusted. The temperature and the humidity of the laboratory were measured. The paper describes the preliminary results of the snow cannon implemented for the described purpose.
KeywordsSnow Adhesion Snow Cannon Railway Rolling Stock
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Azuma, T., Horikawa, S., Fujino, K., Hashimoto, K.: Countermeasure against snow. JR East Technical Review 16, pp. 31-34 (2010).Google Scholar
- 2.Tenker, M., Payer, W.: Investigation of snow particle transportation and accretion on vehicles. In: 24th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Fluid Dynamics and Co-located Conferences, 5-8 June, San Francisco, California (2006).Google Scholar
- 3.Fujii, T., Kawashima, K., Iikura, S., Endo, T., Izunami, R.: Preventive Measures against Snow for High-Speed Train Operation in Japan. In: 11th International Conference on Cold Regions Engineering, May 20-22, Anchorage, Alaska, United States (2002).Google Scholar
- 4.Junnikkala, J., Untinen, J.: Lumen ja jään kertymisen estäminen. Liikenneviraston tutkimuksia ja selvityksiä 10 (2013).Google Scholar
- 5.Junnikkala, J: Rautateiden liikkuvan kaluston teknisten häiriöiden kartoitus. Master’s Thesis. Mechanical Engineering, University of Oulu (2011).Google Scholar
- 6.Heinonen, T-R.: Lumen irtoaminen junakalustosta raiteen epäjatkuvuuskohdissa. Liikenneviraston tutkimuksia ja selvityksiä 30 (2013).Google Scholar
- 7.Hefny, Reham, Kollar, L. E., Farzaneh, M., Payrard, C.: Adhesion of wet snow to different cable surfaces. In: 13th International Workshop on Atmospheric Icing of Structures, 8th - 11th September. Andermatt, Switzerland (2009).Google Scholar
- 8.Rasmus, S., Snow pack structure characteristics in Finland – measurements and modeling. Report series in geophysics No. 48. University of Helsinki, Division of geophysics (2005).Google Scholar
- 9.Shapiro, L. H., Johnson, J. B., Sturm, M., Blaisdel, G. L.: Snow mechanics. Review of the State of Knowledge and Applications US Army Corps of Engineers, CRREL (1997).Google Scholar