Stability of Heavy Vehicles: Effect of the Road
In this paper, the influence of the road characteristics, such as the banked road and the longitudinal slope of the road on the stability of heavy vehicles is analyzed. These characteristics make the vehicle load distribution different from a flat road, making the vehicle more or less unstable in certain cases. To conduct this research, the mechanism that represents the last trailer of the vehicle is analyzed with the Davies Method and the static rollover threshold (SRT) factor is obtained. Finally, a case study shows that the road characteristics have an important role on the SRT factor calculation of the vehicle.
KeywordsStatic Rollover Threshold Load Distribution Road Safety
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Winkler, P. Fancher, Z. Bareket, S. Bogard, G. Johnson, S. Karamihas, C. Mink, Heavy Vehicle Size and Weight -Test Procedure for Minimum Safety Performance Standards. UMTRI Research Review, University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute. Ann Arbor, Detroit (1992).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Lambert, A Study of Vehicle Properties that Influence Rollover and their Effect on Elec-tronic Stability Controllers. Master’s Thesis - Auburn University, Auburn - Alabama, USA (2007).Google Scholar
- 3.G. Rill, Road Vehicle Dynamics: Fundamentals and Modeling. Boca Ratón, Florida: CRC Press. ISBN 978-1-4398-3898-3 (2011).Google Scholar
- 4.Moreno, G., Manenti, V., Guerero, G., Nicolazzi, L., Vieira, R., & Martins, D. Stability of Heavy Articulated Vehicles: Effect of Load Distribution. Transportation Research Procedia, (33), 211-218 (2018).Google Scholar
- 5.G. Moreno, L. Nicolazzi, R.S. Vieira, D. Martins, Suspension and tyres: the stability of heavy vehicles, International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems, 24(4), 305-326. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJHVS.2017.10007635 (2017).
- 6.T. Chang, Effect of Vehicles Suspension on Highway Horizontal Curve Design. Journal of Transportation Engineering, 127(1), 89–91 (2001).Google Scholar
- 7.Gonzalo Moreno, Simón Figueroa, Bladimir Ramón. Stability models of heavy vehi-cle. Contemporary Engineering Sciences, 11(92), 4569-4579 https://doi.org/10.12988/ces.2018.89503 (2018).
- 8.G. Moreno, L. Nicolazzi, R.S. Vieira, D. Martins, Stability of Long Combination Vehicles, International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems, 25(1), 113-131. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJHVS.2018.10011111 (2018).
- 9.Davies, T.H. Mechanical networks-III Wrenches on circuit screws. Mechanism and Machine Theory, 18(2), 107–112 (1983).Google Scholar
- 10.Tsai, L.-W. Robot Analysis - The Mechanics of Serial and Parallel Manipulators. John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., ISBN 0-471-32593-7, New York (1999).Google Scholar
- 11.ISO-14792, Heavy commercial vehicles and buses - Steady state circular tests International Organization for Starndardization. Geneva, Switzerland (2011).Google Scholar