An application of model predictive control logic to inertial sea wave energy converter
During the last years, considerable progress has been reached in energy research field focused on the renewable energy extraction technologies. In particular wave energy is one of the most important branches. Among the possibility, the Inertial Sea Wave Energy Converter (ISWEC) is one of the most promising technology. This work was divided in two parts: firstly, the ISWEC model was created in order to predict the behavior of the system with accuracy to assure the correct functionality of the plant; then ISWEC model was applied to develop the Model Predictive control algorithm (MPC). All the work was developed for a three degrees of freedom system, considering the correlation between the horizontal movement, the vertical movement and the rotation, called surge, heave and pitch respectively. This correlation was important to improve the power extraction. The aim of this work is to design a controller that allow the automatic set the control value with the aim to extract the maximum power without an external prediction of the wave forces and regarding the input constraints due to components mechanical limits.
KeywordsMPC ISWEC control logic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. J. Qin, T. a T. a. Badgwell, S. J. Qin, and T. a T. a. Badgwell, “A survey of industrial model predictive control technology,” Control Eng. Pract., vol. 11, pp. 733–764, 2003.Google Scholar
- 2.T. K. Brekken, “On Model Predictive Control for a point absorber Wave Energy Converter,” Proc. IEEE Trondheim PowerTech, pp. 1–8, 2011.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Bracco et al., “Application of linear model predictive control to the ISWEC,” pp. 257–264, 2015.Google Scholar
- 4.L. Wang, Model Predictive Control System Design and Implementation Using MATLAB. 2009.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Vissio, “ISWEC toward the sea,” PhD Thesis, Politecnico di Torino, 2017Google Scholar
- 6.Performance assessment of a 2 dof gyroscopic wave energy converter Battezzato A., Bracco G., Giorcelli E., Mattiazzo G. 2015 Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics 53(1), pp. 195-207Google Scholar
- 7.F. Fusco and J. V Ringwood, “Short-Term Wave Forecasting for Real-Time Control of Wave Energy Converters,” Sustain. Energy, IEEE Trans., vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 99–106, 2010.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Bemporad, “Model Predictive Control : Basic Concepts Model Predictive Control (MPC),” Control Syst. Eng. Imp. Coll. London, 2009.Google Scholar
- 9.ISWEC design tool Sirigu, S.A., Vissio, G., Bracco, G., Giorcelli E., Passione B., Raffero, M., Mattiazzo, G. 2016 International Journal of Marine Energy 15, pp. 201-21Google Scholar