Model Based Unbalance Identification for Paper Machine’s Tube Roll
Mass unbalance is a major concern in modern day rotating machinery. For single and double disc rotor bearing systems, model based techniques have been used to identify the unbalance. The aim of this research is to predict the unbalance in a similar way for a paper machine’s tube roll using its virtual model. In this case study, the rotor is a large diameter continuous tube with thin walls and without any mounted disc. To identify the unbalance magnitude and phase, modal expansion and equivalent load minimization by least squares is used. The distributed equivalent load is sorted using two different methods. The first method considers only the isolated maximum load. In the second method, the load at all the nodes are taken into account. This first method is tested on a single disc rotor bearing system from literature and the unbalance parameters were predicted with good accuracy. However, for the paper machine’s tube roll, due to its continuous structure, the equivalent load is distributed more evenly across the rotor. Therefore the second method is able to predict the unbalance parameters with better accuracy.
KeywordsEquivalent Load Minimization Modal Expansion Model-Based Identification Paper Machine Roll Unbalance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Shrivastava A, Mohanty A (2018) Estimation of single plane unbalance parameters of a rotor-bearing system using kalman filtering based force estimation technique. Journal of Sound and Vibration 418:184–199 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2017.11.020
- Sudhakar G, Sekhar A (2011) Identification of unbalance in a rotor bearing system. Journal of Sound and Vibration 330(10):2299–2313. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2010.11.028
- Markert R, Platz R, Seidler M (2001) Model based fault identification in rotor systems by least squares fitting. International Journal of Rotating Machinery 7(5):311–321. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/S1023621X01000264
- Bachschmid N, Pennacchi P, Vania A (2002) Identification of multiple faults in rotor systems. Journal of sound and vibration 254(2):327–366. doi: https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2001.4116
- Jain J, Kundra T (2004) Model based online diagnosis of unbalance and transverse fatigue crack in rotor systems. Mechanics Research Communications 31(5):557–568. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechrescom.2003.11.002
- Yao J, Liu L, Yang F, Scarpa F, Gao J (2018) Identification and optimization of unbalance parameters in rotor-bearing systems. Journal of Sound and Vibration 431:54–69. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2018.05.050
- Sekhar A (2005) Identification of unbalance and crack acting simultaneously in a rotor system: Modal expansion versus reduced basis dynamic expansion. Modal Analysis 11(9):1125–1145. doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546305042531