On the Dynamic Balance of a Planar Four-Bar Mechanism with a Flexible Coupler
The dynamic balance of planar mechanisms with flexible links is considered. A balancing principle for a single prismatic beam with a number of support points is developed, which is based on modal balancing. The cases with two and four support points are applied to a planar four-bar mechanism with a flexible coupler and the results are compared with the case in which the coupler is hinged at its ends and the case in which it is supported at reciprocal points. It is shown in an example that the shaking forces can be reduced by a factor of up to 200, but that it is more difficult also to balance the shaking moment.
Keywordsdynamic balance flexible link compliant four-bar mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bishop, R.E.D, Gladwell, G.M.L.: The vibration and balancing of an unbalanced flexible rotor. J. Mech. Engng Sci. 1, 66–77 (1959).Google Scholar
- 2.Xi, F., Sinatra, R.: Effect of dynamic balancing on four-bar linkage vibrations. Mech. Mach. Theory 32, 715–728 (1997).Google Scholar
- 3.Yu, Y.-Q., Lin, J.: Active balancing of a flexible linkage with redundant drives. Trans. ASME J. Mech. Des. 125, 119–123 (2003).Google Scholar
- 4.Yu, Y.-Q., Jiang, B.: Analytical and experimental study on the dynamic balancing of flexible mechanisms. Mech. Mach. Theory 42, 626–635 (2007).Google Scholar
- 5.Kalas, V.J.: Shaking force balance in parallel manipulators with flexible links. Master Thesis, report WA-1588, Laboratory of Mechanical Automation and Mechatronics, Faculty of Engineering Technology, University of Twente, Enschede (2016).Google Scholar
- 6.Den Hartog, J.P.: Mechanical Vibrations, 4th edition. McGraw-Hill, New York (1956).Google Scholar
- 7.Berkof, R.S.: Complete force and moment balancing of inline four-bar linkages. Mech. Mach. Theory 8, 397–410 (1973)Google Scholar
- 8.Jonker, J.B., Meijaard, J.P.: SPACAR - computer program for dynamic analysis of flexible spatial mechanisms and manipulators. In Schiehlen, W. (ed.) Multibody systems handbook, pp. 123–143. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg (1990).Google Scholar
- 9.Meijaard, J.P.: Validation of flexible beam elements in dynamics programs. Nonlin. Dyn. 9, 21–36 (1996).Google Scholar