Operation mode analysis of a 4-DOF n-RER parallel manipulator with three operation modes
This paper proposes a 4-DOF (degrees-of-freedom) n-RER parallel manipulator (PM) with congruent base and moving platform (CBP). The 4-DOF n-RER PM is composed of a base and a moving platform connected by n RER legs, each of which is a serial kinematic chain composed of a revolute (R) joint, a planar (E) joint and an R joint in sequence. At first, a set of constraint equations of the n-RER PM with CBP is first derived. It is then found that like the 3-RER PM with congruent triangular base and platform in the literature, the n-RER PM with CBP has three 4-DOF operation modes regardless of the number of legs (n > 2) and link parameters. The characteristics of the n-RER PM with CBP in different operation modes are also presented.
KeywordsParallel manipulator Operation mode Quaternion Euler parameters Overconstrained mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Huang, Z., Li, Q.C., and Ding, H.F.: Theory of Parallel Mechanisms, Dordrecht: Springer (2012).Google Scholar
- 2.Yang, T-L, Liu, A., Shen, H., Hang, L., Luo, Y., and Jin, Q.: Topology Design of Robot Mechanisms, Springer, Singapore (2018).Google Scholar
- 3.Kong, X. and Gosselin, C.: Type Synthesis of Parallel Mechanisms, Springer, The Netherlands (2007).Google Scholar
- 4.Kong, X.: Type synthesis of variable degree-of-freedom parallel manipulators with both planar and 3T1R operation modes. In Proceedings of ASME 2012 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, (Vol. 4, pp. 497-504). DETC2012-70621 (2012).Google Scholar
- 5.Coste, M., Mady Demdah, K.: Extra modes of operation and self-motions in manipulators designed for Schoenflies motion. Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics 7(4): 041020-041020-6 (2015).Google Scholar
- 6.Kong, X.: Reconfiguration analysis of a 4-DOF 3-RER parallel manipulator with equilateral triangular base and moving platform. Mechanism and Machine Theory 98, 180-189 (2016).Google Scholar
- 7.Tian, Y., Zhang, D., Yao, Y.-A., Kong, X., Li, Y.: A reconfigurable multi-mode mobile parallel robot. Mechanism and Machine Theory, 111, 39–65 (2017)Google Scholar