Experimental Validation of a Gait Planning for Obstacle Avoidance Using Mecanum Wheels
In the last years the autonomy in service robots became an important feature to develop different kinds of indoor and outdoor service tasks, like sur-veillance or inspection in hospitals. This autonomy is not only related to power consumption, it is also related with the capability to avoid obstacles without crashing. The aim of this paper is to present the experimental validation of a gait planning for obstacle avoidance with Cassino Hexapod III, a wheeled-legged hy-brid hexapod robot, with an omni-wheeled locomotion. Experimental test is car-ried out to demonstrate the motion capability of Cassino Hexapod III to dodge an obstacle in front of it.
KeywordsOmni-wheeled locomotion Obstacle avoidance Hexapod robot Experimental robotics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The paper presents results from the research activities of the pro-ject ID 37_215, MySMIS code 103415 "Innovative approaches regarding the rehabili-tation and assistive robotics for healthy ageing" co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund through the Competitiveness Operational Programme 2014-2020, Priority Axis 1, Action 1.1.4, through the financing contract 20/01.09.2016, between the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca and ANCSI as Intermediary Organism in the name and for the Ministry of European Funds.
- 1.Tedeschi, F., Carbone, F.: Design Issues for Hexapod Walking Robots, Robotics, pp. 181-206, (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Bares, J., Hebert, M., Kanade, T., Krotkov, E., Mitchell, T., Simmons, R., Whittaker, W.: Ambler: An Autonomous Rover for Planetary Exploration, IEEE Comput., 6–18, (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Tedeschi, F., Carbone, F.: Design of Hexapod Walking Robots: Background and Chal-lenges, Handbook of Research on Advancements in Robotics and Mechatronics, pp. 527-566, (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Estier, T., Piguet, R., Eichhorn, R., Siegwart, R.: Shrimp: A Rover Architecture for Long Range Martian Mission, Proceedings of The Sixth ESA Workshop on Advanced Space Technologies for Robotics and Automation (ASTRA), 3.2-2, Netherlands, (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Gomez-Bravo, F., Villadoniga, P., Carbone, G.: Design and Operation of a Novel Hexapod Robot for Surveillances Tasks, Advances in Service and Industrial Robotics, pp. 707-715, (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Yasushi, M., Yuuya, T., Tatsuo, A., Kenji, I., Noriho, K.: Omni-directional Locomotion of Robots with Limb Mechanism, Journal of Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 329-335, 2004Google Scholar
- 7.Burkus, E., Odry, P.: Autonomous Hexapod Walker Robot Szabad(ka), International Sym-posium on Intelligent Systems and Informatics, pp. 103-106, (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Carbone, G., Shrot, A., Ceccarelli, M.: Operation Strategy for a Low-cost Easy Operation Cassino Hexapod, Appl Bion Biomech 4(4), pp. 149–156, (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Carbone, G., Ceccarelli, M.: A Low-cost Easy-operation Hexapod Walking Machine, Int J Adv Robot Syst, pp. 161-166, (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Carbone, G., Gomez-Bravo, F., Selvi, O.: An Experimental Validation of Collision Free Trajectories for Parallel Manipulators, Mech Based Des Struct Mach Int J, pp. 414-433, (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Tedeschi, F., Cafolla, D., Carbone, G.: Design and Operation of Cassino Hexapod II, Inter-national Journal of Mechanics and Control, pp. 19-25, (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Carbone, G., Tedeschi, F., Gallozi, A., Cigola, M.: A Robotic Mobile Platform for Service Tasks in Cultural Heritage, International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, pp. 1-10, (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Gallozzi, A., De Stefano, C., Carbone, G., Scotto di Freca, A., Ceccarelli, M., Bianchi, M., Cigola, M.: The MuseBot Project: Robotics, Informatic, and Economics Strategies for Mu-seums, Advances in Library and Information Science (ALIS), 3, pp. 45-66, (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.Tedeschi, F., Carbone, G.: Design of a Novel Leg-Wheel Hexapod Walking Robot, Robot-ics, (2017)Google Scholar
- 15.Orozco-Magdaleno, E. C., Cafolla, D., Ceccarelli, M., Castillo-Castañeda, E., Carbone, G.: Experiences for a User-Friendly Operation of Cassino Hexapod III, Proceedings of 27 RAAD Conference, pp. 205-213, (2018)Google Scholar
- 16.Orozco-Magdaleno, E. C., Carbone, G., Castillo-Castañeda, E.: Experiences on a Hybrid Locomotion Approach to Overcome Obstacles with Cassino Hexapod III, Proceedings of 2nd IFToMM Italy Conference, pp. 1-8, (2018)Google Scholar