Certified Kinematics Solution of 2-DOF Planar Parallel Continuum Mechanisms
Kinematics position problems in planar parallel continuum mechanisms, whose elements are elastic rods undergoing nonlinear large deformations, are ruled by a system of nonlinear differential equations. Under some conditions, those rods can be modelled as Kirchhoff rods whose equations can be solved using elliptic integrals. The resolution has to be numerical, and two approaches for that goal are shown in this paper. On the one hand, a method based in residuals evaluation finds multiple solutions at good computational rates but with no formal guarantee on the solving of all solutions. On the other hand, a procedure based on Interval Analysis constitutes a certified solution at a higher computational cost that can be improved with a Newton scheme.
KeywordsKirchhoff rods Kinematics numerical solver interval analysis elliptic integrals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors received financial support from the Spanish Government (DPI2015-64450-R) and the Regional Government of the Basque Country (Project IT949-16).
- 1.Wenger, P., Chablat, D.: Definition sets for the direct kinematics of parallel manipulators. ICAR97. Proceedings., 8th International Conference on Advanced Robotics, pp. 859864. IEEE, (1997) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICAR.1997.620282
- 2.Bryson, C.E., Rucker, D.C.: Toward Parallel Continuum Manipulators. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., May 2014, pp. 778-785 (2014). doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICRA.2014.6906943
- 3.Till, J.. Bryson, C.E., Chung, S., Orekhov, A., Rucker, D.C.: Efficient Computation of Multiple Coupled Cosserat Rod Models for Real-Time Simulation and Control of Parallel Continuum Manipulators. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., May 2015, pp. 5067-5074 (2015). doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICRA.2015.7139904
- 4.Altuzarra, O., Caballero, D., Campa, F.J., Pinto, Ch.: Position analysis in planar parallel continuum mechanisms. Mechanism and Machine Theory, 132, pp. 13-29, (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2018.10.014
- 5.Howell, L.L.: Compliant Mechanisms. Wiley, New York. (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Holst, G. L. et al.: Modelling and Experiments of Buckling Modes and Deflection of Fixed-Guided Beams in Compliant Mechanisms. Journal of Mechanical Design, vol. 133, 051002-1–10 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, A., Chen, G.: A Comprehensive Elliptic Integral Solution to the Large Deflection Problems of Thin Beams in Compliant Mechanisms. Journal of Mechanisms. 5, pp. 021006-1-10. (2013). doi: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4023558
- 8.Hansen, E.: Global optimization using interval analysis. Marcel Dekker. (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Jaulin, L. and Kieffer, M. and Didrit, O. and Walter, E.: Applied Interval Analysis. Springer-Verlag. (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Antman S.S.: Nonlinear Problems of Elasticity. Springer (2005) ISBN: 0-387-20880-1.Google Scholar
- 11.Merlet, J-P.: Solving the Forward Kinematics of a Gough-Type Parallel Manipulator with Interval Analysis. Int. J. of Robotics Research, vol. 23, 3, pp. 221-236, (2004). https://doi.org/10.1177/0278364904039806
- 12.Tapia, R.A.: The Kantorovitch theorem for Newton’s method. American Mathematic Monthly. vol. 78, 1.ea, pp. 389-392, (1971)DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2316909