Determination of Member Lengths for Building a Regular Tensegrity Structure: An Analytical Study
Form finding is the first step in study of a tensegrity structure. All the existing form finding methods require length of struts and free length of cables as input. This often results in an iterative process since all free lengths do not allow feasible tensegrity structures to be constructed. This work proposes a novel form finding method for regular tensegrity structures which does not require the free length of cables to be known a priori. The azimuthal angles of struts are required as input and the free length, stressed length and force density of cables can be derived. This allows the feasible set of cable lengths, strut lengths and orientations to be evaluated for a given number of struts, cables and connectivity. The range of options thus presented would be of great benefit to a structure designer working with other practical constraints.
KeywordsTensegrity Form-finding Force density Azimuthal angle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Snelson, K.: The art of tensegrity. International Journal of Space Structures, 27(2-3), pp.71-80 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Richard, B.F.: 1962. Tensile-integrity structures. U.S. Patent 3,063,521 (1962)Google Scholar
- 3.Tibert, A.G., Pellegrino, S.: Review of form-finding methods for tensegrity structures. International Journal of Space Structures, 26(3), pp.241-255 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Motro, R.: Tensegrity: structural systems for the future. Elsevier (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Estrada, G.G., Bungartz, H.J., Mohrdieck, C.: Numerical form-finding of tensegrity structures. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 43(22), pp.6855-6868 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Sultan, C.: Modeling, design, and control of tensegrity structures with applications (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Schek, H.J.: The force density method for form finding and computation of general networks. Computer methods in applied mechanics and engineering, 3(1), pp.115-134 (1974)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, J.Y. and Ohsaki, M.: Adaptive force density method for form-finding problem of tensegrity structures. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 43(18), pp.5658-5673 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhihua, C., Xiaodun, W. and Xiliang, L.: Form Finding of Tensegrity Structures by Force Density Method [J]. Journal of Building Structures, 5, p.003 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Miki, M. and Kawaguchi, K.I.: Extended force density method for form-finding of tension structures. Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, 51(4), p.291(2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Pugh, A.: 1976. An introduction to tensegrity. University of California Press (1976)Google Scholar