Late to the Party: Can Starbucks Become the Life of It?
The case presents Starbucks’ international marketing challenges, as the global coffee powerhouse made its highly anticipated entry to Vietnam in 2013. Many observers and coffee aficionados were skeptical about the company’s success in the new market, as it is quite distinctive and at the same time saturated. Yet, the key to tackle the challenges may lie within Starbucks’ business philosophy, which the case examines through the company’s history and manifesto. The author presents a brief analogy between the Vietnamese coffee market and those of France and Italy, to gain further understanding of Starbucks’ challenges and similar strategic adaptions available to the company. Additionally, the case discusses Starbucks’ current strategies in Vietnam and their possible direction and future outcomes.
- Alderman, L. (2012). In Europe, Starbucks adjusts to a cafe culture. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/31/business/starbucks-tailors-its-experience-to-fit-to-european-tastes.html.
- Alon, I., Jaffe, E. D., Prange, C., & Vianelli, D. (2017). Global marketing: Contemporary theory, practice, and cases (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bowring, G. (2016). Local chains take on coffee giants. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.ft.com/content/189c23bc-055b-11e6-9b51-0fb5e65703ce.
- Bui-Kinh, K., van Driel, G., Chang, R., & Pipo, E. (2017). Repositioning Starbucks in Vietnam. Utrecht.Google Scholar
- Chilton, J. (2013). PhinDeli Town Buford: Open for business. Retrieved February 12, 2017 from http://www.wyomingnews.com/news/phindeli-town-buford-open-for-business/article_e7f79e6e-6dfb-5c1c-910f-2bf888350af8.html#.VICflzHF91Y.
- Folkmanis, J., & Nguyen, D. T. U. (2014). Saigon beating Hanoi four decades after Vietnam war. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-03/saigon-beating-hanoi-four-decades-after-vietnam-war.
- Gillespie, K., & Hennessey, H. D. (2011). Global marketing (3rd ed.). Mason: South-Western Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- International Coffee Organization (ICO). (2018). Monthly export statistics. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from http://www.ico.org/trade_statistics.asp.
- Khan, S. (2010). Starbucks international marketing strategy. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.slideshare.net/sk_prince/starbucks-international-marketing-strategy-3900413.
- Kiley, D. (2006). Best global brands. Bloomberg Businessweek, 2006(3996), 54–56.Google Scholar
- Koehn, N. F., McNamara, K., Khan, N. N., & Legris, E. (2014). Starbucks coffee company: Transformation and renewal. Harvard Business School Case 314-068.Google Scholar
- Loxcel Geomatics. (2018). How many Starbucks stores are out there? Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.loxcel.com/sbux-faq.html.
- Luc, H. (2013). Starbucks đang bị "tín đồ" cà phê Việt xa lánh? Retrieved October 13, 2018 from http://giaoduc.net.vn/Kinh-te/Thi-truong/Starbucks-dang-bi-tin-do-ca-phe-Viet-xa-lanh-post126425.gd.
- Misener, J. (2014). 20 Starbucks items you can’t get in the U.S. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/starbucks-menu-in-other-countries#1pd9p38.
- Noble, J. (2013). Starbucks takes on Vietnam coffee culture. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.ft.com/content/c8cd8e62-5562-11e2-bdd2-00144feab49a.
- Quelch, J. (2008). How Starbucks’ growth destroyed brand value. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://hbr.org/2008/07/how-starbucks-growth-destroyed.
- Reynolds, P. (n.d.). Countries where buying Starbucks is the most and least extravagant. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.valuepenguin.com/countries-where-buying-starbucks-most-and-least-extravagant.
- Rosen, E. (2014). Vietnam’s tale of two cities. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://thediplomat.com/2014/10/vietnams-tale-of-two-cities/.
- Schultz, H., & Gordon, J. (2011). Onward: How Starbucks fought for its life without losing its soul. New York: Rodale.Google Scholar
- Schultz, H., & Yang, D. J. (1997). Pour your heart into it: How Starbucks built a company one cup at a time. New York: Hyperion.Google Scholar
- Shayon, S. (2013). My Starbucks idea turns 5, sparking a latte innovations. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.brandchannel.com/2013/04/01/my-starbucks-idea-turns-5-sparking-a-latte-innovations/.
- Sola, K. (2016). Six challenges Starbucks must address to succeed in Italy. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.forbes.com/sites/katiesola/2016/03/01/six-challenges-starbucks-must-address-to-succeed-in-italy/#3e6c279535b3.
- STARBUCKS. (2017). Starbucks. Retrieved February 12, 2017 from https://www.starbucks.com.
- STARBUCKS VIETNAM. (2017). Starbucks Vietnam. Retrieved February 12, 2017 from http://www.starbucks.vn.
- Sun, L. (2015). Should Starbucks corporation fear this underdog in Asia? Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/09/01/should-starbucks-corporation-fear-this-underdog-in.aspx.
- Tiplady, R. (2006). Can Starbucks blend into France? Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2006-04-19/can-starbucks-blend-into-france.
- Tran, V. (2013). Giới trẻ Sài Gòn xếp hàng dài để chờ… 'check in' Starbucks. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://news.zing.vn/gioi-tre-sai-gon-xep-hang-dai-de-cho-check-in-starbucks-post301129.html.
- Trefis Team. (2016). Let’s look at Starbucks’ growth strategy. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2016/09/19/lets-look-at-starbucks-growth-strategy/#41a402793d71.
- VietNamNet Bridge. (2013). How expensive will Starbucks coffee be in Vietnam? Retrieved October 13, 2018 from http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/business/57067/how-expensive-will-starbucks-coffee-be-in-vietnam-.html.
- Vu, D. L. (2013). Đặng Lê Nguyên Vũ: Starbucks chỉ là "người khổng lồ không bản sắc. Interview. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from http://giaoduc.net.vn/Kinh-te/Nguoi-Viet-hang-Viet/Dang-Le-Nguyen-Vu-Starbucks-chi-la-nguoi-khong-lo-khong-ban-sac-post105801.gd.
- Wang, H. H. (2012). Five things Starbucks did to get China right. Retrieved October 13, 2018 from https://www.forbes.com/sites/helenwang/2012/08/10/five-things-starbucks-did-to-get-china-right/#60daf65453af.