Britain’s Car Industry: Policies, Positioning, and Perspectives
The British car industry is distinguished by high levels of foreign ownership, an export-oriented production sector, and an import-oriented domestic market. It faces two major challenges: the struggle to achieve sustainability and looming Brexit. A new industrial strategy for Britain has also identified new forms of automobility, exploiting digital technologies and the potentials for autonomous and connected engine technologies, as key issues for national industrial strategy. This chapter explores these facets of the industry in the context of the spatial, technological and policy positioning of the sector.
- APPG. 2017. (Ian Greenwood) The All Party Parliamentary Group on Steel and Metal Related Industries: Forging a Future for the British Steel Industry. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/stephenkinnock4aberavon/pages/481/attachments/original/1484924141/Steel_2020_Forging_a_future_for_the_British_steel_industry.pdf?1484924141.
- Bailey, David, Paul Hildreth, and Lisa De Propris. 2015. Mind the Gap! What Might a Place-Based Industrial and Regional Policy Look Like? In New Perspectives on Industrial Policy for a Modern Britain, ed. David Bailey, Keith Cowling, and R. Tomlinson Philip, 287–308. Oxford: Oxford University Press.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- BBC. 2014. Foreign-Owned UK Car Industry Offers Economic Lesson. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://wwwbbc.co.uk/news/business-27414830.
- ———. 2017. Ford Bridgend Could Lose 1,160 Jobs in Worse Case Scenario. Accessed October 15, 2018. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-39123982.
- ———. 2018a. UK Production Hit by ‘Perfect’ Storm. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45011687.
- ———. 2018b. Electric Cars: Charging Points Could be Requirement in New Build Homes. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44759150.
- ———. 2018c. Ola to Challenge Uber in UK Ride-Hailing Market. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45095091.
- Calabrese, Giuseppe, Dan Coffey, and Tommaso Pardi. 2013. New Industrial Policies for the Automotive Industry in Europe. Working Paper CNR-Ceris, no. 21.Google Scholar
- Ceschin, Fabrizio, and Carlo Vezzoli. 2010. The Role of Public Policy in Stimulating Radical Environmental Impact Reduction in the Automotive Sector: The Need to Focus on Product-Service System Innovation. International Journal of Automotive Technology and Management 10 (2/3): 321–341.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ———. 2015b. Unions, Government and Sector Interventions: A New British Path for Industrial Sustainability? In A Strong Europe—But Only with a Strong Manufacturing Sector: Policy Concepts and Instruments in Ten EU Member States, ed. Frank Gerlach, Mark Schietinger, and Astrid Ziegler, 80–115. Marburg: Schüren.Google Scholar
- ———. 2018. How sustainable is the sustainability element in the new industrial strategy? The difficult case of the car industry. In What We Really Mean When We Talk About Industrial Strategy, ed. Craig Berry, 133–139, British Academy and Manchester Metropolitan University.Google Scholar
- Cowling, Keith. 1986. The Internationalization of Production and De-industrialization. In Technological Change, Industrial Restructuring and Regional Development, ed. Ash Amin and John Goddard, 23–40. London: Allen and Unwin.Google Scholar
- HMG. 2009. The UK Low Carbon Industrial Strategy. HM Government: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and Department for Energy and Climate Change. Accessed October 15, 2018. http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file52002.pdf.
- ———. 2012. Industrial Strategy: UK Sector Analysis. HM Government: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/34607/12-1140-industrial-strategy-uk-sector-analysis.pdf.
- ———. 2013a. Driving Success: A Strategy for Growth and Sustainability in the UK Automotive Sector—Summary. HM Government: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (Paper Series BIS/13/1975ES). Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211902/13-975es-driving-success-uk-automotive-strategy-for-growth-and-sustainability.pdf.
- ———. 2013b. Driving Success: A Strategy for Growth and Sustainability in the UK Automotive Sector. HM Government: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (Paper Series BIS/13/1975). Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211901/13-975-driving-success-uk-automotive-strategy-for-growth-and-sustainability.pdf.
- ———. 2017. Industrial Strategy: Building a Britain fit for the future. HM Government: Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/industrial-strategy-building-a-britain-fit-for-the-future
- NAIGT. 2009. New Automotive Innovation and Growth Team: An Independent Report on the Future of the Automotive Industry in the UK. Department for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR). Accessed October 15, 2018. http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file51139.pdf.
- SMMT. 2010. SMMT Motor Industry Facts 2010 (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Ltd.). Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.smmt.co.uk/.
- ———. 2017. SMMT Motor Industry Facts 2017 (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Ltd.). Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.smmt.co.uk/.
- ———. 2018. SMMT Motor Industry Facts 2018 (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Ltd.). Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.smmt.co.uk/.
- SMMT and KPMG. 2015. Connected and Autonomous Vehicles—The UK Economic Opportunity, March 2015. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.smmt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/CRT036586F-Connected-and-Autonomous-Vehicles-%E2%80%93-The-UK-Economic-Opportu...1.pdf.
- SMMT and KPMG. 2016. The Digitalisation of the UK Automotive Industry. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.smmt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/smmt_the-digitalisation-of-the-uk-auto-industry_kpmg-apr-2017.pdf.
- Taylor Review. 2017. Good Work: The Taylor Review of Modern Working Practices. Independent Report, July 2017. Accessed October 15, 2018. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/good-work-the-taylor-review-of-modern-working-practices.
- UNEP. 2002. Product-Service Systems and Sustainability: Opportunities for Sustainable Solutions. Paris: United Nations Environmental Programme.Google Scholar
- Waters, Rupert, and Helen Lawton Smith. 2016. Global Economic Crises and Local Fortunes: The Cases of Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. In Global Economic Crisis and Local Economic Development: International Cases and Policy Responses, ed. Jason Begley, Dan Coffey, Tom Donnelly, and Carole Thornley, 30–46. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar