34-Year-Old with Widespread Redness and Scaly Skin
Erythrodermic psoriasis is a rare, life-threatening variant of psoriasis characterized by widespread redness, itching, pain, and scaly skin. Initial management focuses on correcting any fluid or electrolyte abnormalities, treatment of infections, and hypothermia prophylaxis. This is a 34-year-old patient with a long history of psoriasis that presented with generalized erythema on adalimumab. He was started on cyclosporine for treatment of his erythrodermic psoriasis.
KeywordsErythrodermic psoriasis Psoriatic arthritis Cyclosporine
- 5.Rosenbach M, Hsu S, Korman NJ, Lebwohl MG, Young M, Bebo BF Jr, Van Voorhees AS, National Psoriasis Foundation Medical Board. Treatment of erythrodermic psoriasis: from the medical board of the National Psoriasis Foundation. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010;62(4):655–62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2009.05.048.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Poulalhon N, Begon E, Lebbe C, Liote F, Lahfa M, Bengoufa D, Morel P, Dubertret L, Bachelez H. A follow-up study in 28 patients treated with infliximab for severe recalcitrant psoriasis: evidence for efficacy and high incidence of biological autoimmunity. Br J Dermatol. 2007;156(2):329–36. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2006.07639.x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Menter A, Korman NJ, Elmets CA, Feldman SR, Gelfand JM, Gordon KB, Gottlieb AB, Koo JY, Lebwohl M, Lim HW, Van Voorhees AS, Beutner KR, Bhushan R. Guidelines of care for the management of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: section 4. Guidelines of care for the management and treatment of psoriasis with traditional systemic agents. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009;61(3):451–85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2009.03.027.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Pescitelli L, Dini V, Gisondi P, Loconsole F, Piaserico S, Piccirillo A, Stinco G, Errichetti E, Talamonti M, Tripo L, Volpi W, Prignano F. Erythrodermic psoriasis treated with ustekinumab: an Italian multicenter retrospective analysis. J Dermatol Sci. 2015;78(2):149–51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdermsci.2015.01.005.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Saeki H, Nakagawa H, Ishii T, Morisaki Y, Aoki T, Berclaz PY, Heffernan M. Efficacy and safety of open-label ixekizumab treatment in Japanese patients with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis, erythrodermic psoriasis and generalized pustular psoriasis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2015;29(6):1148–55. https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.12773.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar