Renal Aging and Chronic Kidney Disease in the Elderly: Which Are the Differences?
Aging is a universal asynchronic and heterogeneous process which induces a series of changes in the organisms through time, characterized by the attenuation of functional performance compared to the maximal functional strength reached around the second decade of life. The glomerular filtration rate (GFR) reduction secondary to aging has a particular rate (1 ml/min per year since 40 years of age), but this is not necessarily the glomerular filtration declination rate in chronic nephropathy. A GFR reduction according to age, in a setting of normal creatininemia, uremia, hemoglobin, parathyroid hormone level, urinalysis, and kidney imaging, should be interpreted as normal renal aging instead of chronic kidney disease (CKD). However, it is worth mentioning that there is a minority of old individuals who have a relatively high GFR which can be interpreted as glomerular hyperfiltration due to early CKD (negative renal reserve) or to a successful renal aging (preserved renal reserve).
KeywordsAging Senescence Chronic kidney disease Senescent nephropathy
- 4.Forciea M, Lavizzo-Mourey R, Schwab E. Geriatric secrets. Philadelphia: Hanley & Belfus; 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.Rennke H, Denker B. Renal pathophysiology. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1994. p. 267–90.Google Scholar
- 21.Musso CG, Maytin S, Conti P, Terrasa S, Primerano A, Reynaga A, Vilas M, Jauregui J. HUGE equation accuracy for screening chronic kidney disease: a prospective study. J Aging Res Clin Pract. 2017;6:158–62.Google Scholar
- 22.Musso CG, de Los Rios E, Vilas M, Terrasa S, Bratti G, Varela F, Diez GR, Jauregui J, Luna D. The HUGE formula (hematocrit, urea, gender) for screening for chronic kidney disease in elderly patients: a study of diagnostic accuracy. Int Urol Nephrol. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11255-016-1486-6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Dawson-Saunders B, Trapp R. Medical biostatistics. Mexico. Manual Moderno. 1993. p. 51–2.Google Scholar
- 24.Musso CG. Renal reserve test: its methodology and significance. S J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2011;22(5):990–3.Google Scholar
- 25.Musso CG, Jauregui J. The ageing kidney: a proposal for its classification. Electron J Biomed. 2016;1:3–6.Google Scholar