From Jiang Rong to Jean-Jacques Annaud: An Ecological Rewrite of Wolf Totem
Based on Jiang Rong’s semi-autobiographical novel of the same title, Jean-Jacques Annaud’s Wolf Totem is an ecological rewrite. To better understand and evaluate the rewrite, this chapter adopts a comparative approach and argues that Annaud’s rewrite works as a trans-national and trans-cultural bridge in contemporary ecological discussion. It has impressive visual and audio effects and has done pioneering work in translating Chinese ecological and cultural ethics and aesthetics to the global audience. Yet, the translation is not perfect. It neglects the social and cultural backgrounds and fails to harmonize the eastern and western perspectives in the understanding of ecological issues. With both gain and loss, Annaud’s rewrite proves that the multicultural strategies are needed in contemporary ecological studies, especially trans-national and trans-cultural studies.
- Annaud, Jean-Jacques. 2012. “Shanghai Film Fest: Q&A with Director Jean-Jacques Annaud.” Interview by Jonathan Landreth. Los Angeles Times, June 15. https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2012/06/shanghai-film-fest-qa-wolf-totem-with-director-jean-jacques-annaud.html. Accessed 12 July 2018.
- ———. 2015. Wolf Totem [Lang tuteng]. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.Google Scholar
- Hu, Zhihong, and Tiantian Hu. 2016. “The Integration of Ecocriticism and Comparative Literature—A Win-Win Academic Strategy.” Cultural Studies and Literary Theory [Zhongwai wenhua yu wenlun] 35: 103–130.Google Scholar
- Jiang, Rong. 2008a. “Q&A: ‘Unlike the Wolf, Sheep Are Afraid of Freedom.’” Interview by IPS Correspondents. Inter Press Service, June 5. www.ipsnews.net/2008/06/qa-unlike-the-wolf-sheep-are-afraid-of-freedom/. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- ———. 2008b. Wolf Totem: A Novel. Trans. Howard Goldblatt. New York: The Penguin Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. “Q. and A.: Jiang Rong on ‘Wolf Totem,’ the Novel and Now the Film.” Interview by Amy Qin. The New York Times, February 26. https://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/26/q-and-a-jiang-rong-on-wolf-totem-the-novel-and-now-the-film/?_r=0. Accessed 3 Mar 2018.
- Kendrick, James. 2015. “Wolf Totem.” Qnetwork, December 22. www.qnetwork.com/review/3467. Accessed 2 June 2018.
- Keough, Peter. 2015. “In ‘Wolf Totem’ It’s the Call of the Mild.” Boston Globe, September 10. www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2015/09/10/wolf/pSi7sI9tp3ViNrfHQfnIdM/story.html. Accessed 3 July 2018.
- Kubin, Wolfgang. 2006. “Deguo hanxue quanwei lingyizhiyan kan xiandangdai Zhongguo wenxue.” Interview by Xin Ping. DW, November 26. https://p.dw.com/p/9R8g. Accessed 8 May 2018.
- Lee, Maggie. 2015. “Berlin Film Review: Wolf Totem.” Variety, February 10. https://variety.com/2015/film/asia/berlin-film-review-wolf-totem-1201428207/. Accessed 23 May 2018.
- Li, Xiaojiang. 2018. Wolf Totem and the Post-Mao Utopian: A Chinese Perspective on Contemporary Western Scholarship. Trans. Edward Gunn. Boston: Brill.Google Scholar
- Ma, Sheng-mei. 2016. “Sino-Anglo-Euro Wolf Fan(g)s from Jiang Rong to Annaud.” Ecozon@ 7 (1): 76–93.Google Scholar
- Martina, Michael. 2015. “French ‘Wolf Totem’ Director Says China Censors Gave Him ‘Carte Blanche.’” Reuters, February 1. www.reuters.com/article/us-china-film/french-wolf-totem-director-says-china-censors-gave-him-carte-blanche-idUSKBN0L51J820150201. Accessed 9 June 2018.
- Qi, Shanshan. 2017. “Kua wenhua beijing xia jiyu wenxue gaibian de shengtai dianying piping—yi dianying langtuteng weili.” people.cn, June 20. media.people.com.cn/n1/2017/0620/c412970-29350688.html. Accessed 3 July 2018.
- Qin, Wan. “Jean-Jacques Annaud: changshuo Zhongguo hao, pengyou juede wozai da guanggao.” ifeng.com. ent.ifeng.com/idolnews/daxierenwu/special/dxrw024/. Accessed 15 Mar 2018.
- Ren, Shanshan. 2015. “Faguo daoyan Jean-Jacques Annaud tan dianying langtuteng: zhe shi yibu paigei quanshijie de dianying.” China Daily, February 17. data.people.com.cn/rmrb/20150217/12. Accessed 29 Jun 2018.
- Schaefer, Stephen. 2015. “‘Wolf Totem’ Leads Pack with Poetic Beauty.” Boston Herald, September 11. www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/movies/movie_reviews/2015/09/wolf_totem_leads_pack_with_poetic_beauty. Accessed 12 June 2018.
- Schwartz, Dennis. 2017. “Warns Us That an Old-Fashioned Way of Life Is Passing to an Encroaching Civilization.” Ozus’ World Movie Reviews, January 20. homepages.sover.net/~ozus/wolftotem.html. Accessed 3 June 2018.
- Tang, Yuankai. 2015. “Wolf Totem: Another Dances with Wolves.” China Today 2: 68–70.Google Scholar
- Walsh, Katie. 2015. “Movie Review: Gorgeous ‘Wolf Totem’ Includes Lesson That Still Ring True.” Tribune News Service, September 14. www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/movies/movie-review-gorgeous-wolf-totem-includes-lessons-that-still-ring-true/. Accessed 3 May 2018.
- Wolf Totem. (2015). “Box Office Mojo.” Box office Mojo, December 31, 2018. www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=wolftotem.htm. Accessed 1 Jan 2019.
- Wu, Jingming 吴景明. 2014. Shengtai piping shiye zhong de ershi shiji Zhongguo wenxue 生态批评视野中的二十世纪中国文学 (Ecocriticism Perspective of 20th Century Chinese Literature). Beijing: Zhongguo Shehui Kexue Chubanshe.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Laura. 2015. “Wolf Totem: Writer Blasts Hit Film over ‘Fake’ Mongolian Culture.” South China Morning Post, February 26. www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1722433/ethnic-chinese-writer-criticises-fake-culture-forced-mongolians-hit-film. Accessed 3 July 2018.