Contemplating Land: An Ecocritique of Hong Kong
Since the 1960s, the discourse of British colonizers and Hong Kong post-war boomers has focused on the rise of the “city” and has pointed to the rapid changes in urban Hong Kong as a mark of its superiority to the motherland. Their concerns persist: Hong Kongers are still asking what alternative model could be generated to replace or “improve” Hong Kong’s modern, urban subjectivity. While Hong Kong’s land and cultural imaginary have been “encircled” and bounded by its dominant economic model, the practices of organic communities, which are the focus of this chapter, call into question the legitimacy of such practices and reimagine the land as a site of local creativity and eco-cosmopolitan imagination—a site where different ideologies can be contested and practiced.
- Abbas, Ackbar. 1992. “The Last Emporium: Verse and Cultural Space.” In City at the End of Time, ed. Ping-Kwan Leung, 43–59. Hong Kong: Twilight Books in Association with Department of Comparative Literature, University of Hong Kong.Google Scholar
- Harootunian, Harry. 2000. History’s Disquiet: Modernity, Cultural Practice, and the Question of Everyday Life. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Holmgren, David. 2002. Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability, 2014. Victoria: Holmgren Design Services.Google Scholar
- ———. 2011. “Weeds or Wild Nature: A Permaculture Perspective.” Plant Protection Quarterly 26 (3): 92–97.Google Scholar
- Horton, Dave. 2006. “Demonstrating Environmental Citizenship? A Study of Everyday Life Among Green Activists.” In Environmental Citizenship, ed. Andrew Dobson and Derek Bell, 127–150. Cambridge, MA/London: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Lo, Kwai-Cheung. 2010. “Liu Yichang and the Temporalities of Capitalist Modernity.” Journal of Modern Literature in Chinese 10 (1): 162–176.Google Scholar
- Murphy, Patrick D. 2009. Ecocritical Explorations in Literary and Cultural Studies. New York: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. Persuasive Aesthetic Ecocritical Praxis. London: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- Nichols, Bill. 2010. Introduction to Documentary. 2nd ed. Bloomington/Indianapolis: Indiana UP.Google Scholar
- Oppermann, Serpil. 2010. “Ecocriticism’s Phobic Relations with Theory.” Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment 17 (4): 768–770.Google Scholar
- Slovic, Scott. 2008. Going Away to Think: Engagement, Retreat, and Ecocritical Responsibility. Reno/Las Vegas: University of Nevada Press.Google Scholar
- Wu, Ka-ming. 2017. “Farming Against Real Estate Dominance.” In Green Asia: Ecocultures, Sustainable Lifestyles, and Ethical Consumption, ed. Tania Lewis, 169–183. London/New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Yiu, Edward. 2016. “Xianggnag huayuan chengshi chutan.” 香港「花園城市」初探 (“A Preliminary Research on ‘Hong Kong’s Garden City’”). Planting Hong Kong: The Beginning of Autumn: 8–25.Google Scholar
- Yuan, Yi-tian. 2016. “Zhongzhi Xianggangde fangfa” 種植香港的方法 (“Some Ways to Planting Hong Kong”). Planting Hong Kong: The Beginning of Autumn: 2–3.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Sizhong. 2016. “Nongyu bushi qiong qinqi: huigu Xianggang zhanhou nongyue xilie” 農業不是窮親戚: 回顧香港戰後農業系列 (“Farming Industry Is Not Our Poor Relative: A Review of the Farming Industry in Post-World War II Hong Kong”). Planting Hong Kong: The Beginning of Autumn: 74–9.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Sizhong, et al. 2016. “Chen Kunji caizhongxing yige dian: zongguan Xianggang nongye bianjie” 陳坤記菜種行一個點; 縱觀香港農業邊界 (“The Nodal Point of Chan Kwan Kei Seed Shop: An Overview of the Boundary of Hong Kong’s Farming Industry”). Planting Hong Kong: The Beginning of Autumn: 80–91.Google Scholar
- “Yi kuai tian gengzhuochu weilai” 一塊田耕作出未來 (“Planting the Future Through the Land”). 2015. The Standnews, January 16. https://thestandnews.com/nature/一塊田-耕作出未來/. Accessed 28 Aug 2017.Google Scholar
- “Yu tudide goutong” 與土地的溝通 (“Communicating with the Land”). 2015. Student Paper of CUHK, January 14. www.inmediahk.net/node/1030521. Accessed 28 Aug 2017.
- “Zhou Sizhong: Houzhiminde di zizhuxin” 周思中: 後殖民地的自主性 (“Zhou Sizhong: the autonomy of the decolonized”). 2014. multitude.asia, July 31. http://multitude.asia/archives/156. Accessed 28 Aug 2017.
- He, Dingzhao. 2017. “Xianggang huigui ershi nian” 香港回歸二十年 (“Twenty Years After the Reunion with Mainland China”). Lianhe yingyin, June 27. https://video.udn.com/news/711454. Accessed 28 Aug 2017.
- Li, Zhuoqian. 2016. “Cong nongye gaizao Xianggang: Ji zhongzhi Xianggang fabuhui” 從農 業改造香港: 記《種植香港》發佈會 (“Transforming Hong Kong Through Farming: The Launch of Planting Hong Kong”). Paratext, December 19. http://paratext.hk/?p=300. Accessed 28 Aug 2017.
- Zhou, Sizhong. 2015. “Nitu bingbu laofeng: shenghuoguan dierjie youzhong dianyingje” 泥土 並不老奉: 生活館第二屆有種電影節 (“We Cannot Take Soil for Granted: The 2nd Food and Farming Film Festival”). CINEZEN, December 31. www.cinezen.hk/?p=5128. Accessed 15 Sept 2016.