Integration of Zakat and Awaqf for Poverty Alleviation and Development
This paper recommends that maintaining overall microfinance industry’s nature and character of poverty alleviation approach, an Islamic microfinance approach has to be developed integrating Islamic Shariah-approved charity sources of fund like zakat, sadaqah, and awaqf and Shariah-compliant tools like Mudarabah, Musharakah, Bai-Muajjal, etc., toward ensuring socio-economic development of the poor as well as sustainability of the organizations involved for maintaining continuity of the services for years and ages together. In this connection, this research further found that Center for Zakat Management (CZM) has been working mainly with zakat at larger volume and also awaqf funds toward socio-economic development of the poor and extremely poor for last nine years. By this time, the organization gained formidable experience and developed a model zakat-based poverty alleviation approach. The successes they achieved and the challenges they faced as an organization working with zakat and awaqf funds can provide an important message for all who favor integration of zakat and awaqf as an effort toward playing effective role in socio-economic development of the poor and extremely poor in Bangladesh and elsewhere in the world.
- Awqaf.ae. (2017). General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowments—UAE—AWQAF. Available at: http://www.awqaf.ae/Waqf.aspx?Lang=EN&SectionID=13&RefID=857. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- En.wikipedia.org. (2017a). Waqf. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waqf. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- En.wikipedia.org. (2017b). Zakat. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakat. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- Fahmy, H. K., & Sarker, A. A. (1997). Islamic Modes of Finance and Financial Instruments for Resource Mobilization: A Survey. In A. Ahmed & T. Khan (Eds.), Islamic Financial Instruments for Public Sector Resource Mobilization. Jeddah, KSA: IDB/IRTI.Google Scholar
- Inc. US Legal. (2017). Basic Needs Law and Legal Definition. Available at: https://definitions.uslegal.com/b/basic-needs/. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- Kallol, A. (2017). Zakat Fund Runs Dry | Dhaka Tribune. Archive.dhakatribune.com. Available at: http://archive.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2013/jul/31/zakat-fund-runs-dry. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- Khan, A. B., & Obaidullah, M. (2014). Poverty Alleviation: A Comparative Study of Traditional and Islamic Microfinance with Special Reference to Zakat and Waqf. In 7th International Conference on “Development of Social Enterprunership and Social Business for Eradication of Extreme Poverty and Street Begging”. Chittagong, Bangladeesh, Volume: International Islamic University Chittagong. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dr_Muhammad_Obaidullah/publication/270103836_POVERTY_ALLEVIATION_A_COMPARATIVE_STUDY_OF_TRADITIONAL_AND_ISLAMIC_MICROFINANCE_WITH_SPECIAL_REFERENCE_TO_ZAKAT_AND_WAQF/links/54a013df0cf257a636021425/POVERTY-ALLEVIATION-A-COMPARATIVE-STUDY-OF-TRADITIONAL-AND-ISLAMIC-MICROFINANCE-WITH-SPECIAL-REFERENCE-TO-ZAKAT-AND-WAQF.pdf. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- Microfinance & Microcredit. (2017). The Definition of Microfinance—Microfinance and Microcredit. Available at: http://www.microfinanceinfo.com/the-definition-of-microfinance. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- Rahman, H. (2014). Zakat for Sustainable Livelihoods: Innovations in Financial Empowerment. Dhaka: Power and Participation Research Centre (PPRC).Google Scholar
- Salado, A., & Nilchiani, R. (2013). A Categorization Model of Requirements Based on Max-Neef’s Model of Human Needs. Wiley Online Library. Available at: http://www.academia.edu/4674776/A_Categorization_Model_of_Requirements_Based_on_Max-Neefs_Model_of_Human_Needs. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- Shah, A. (2017). Poverty Facts and Stats—Global Issues. Globalissues.org. Available at: http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- Sinha, V. (2017). The Mohammedan and Hindu Endowments Ordinance, 1905: Recourse to Legislation. Springer Link. Available at: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-007-0887-7_4. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- Tahir, M., & Haji Mohammad, S. (2013). Integration of Waqf, Zakat, Sadaqat, in Islamic Microfinance. Academia.edu. Available at: http://www.academia.edu/9832350/Integration_of_Waqf_Zakat_Sadaqat_in_Islamic_Microfinance. Accessed 18 September 2017.
- YouTube. (2014). Zakat (Charity) and Waqf (Islamic Endowment). Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d-enf5mudc. Accessed 18 September 2017.