Our Computer Overlords
The issue here is: Will artificial superintelligence become our masters or will we train it to be helpful to the human condition, or maybe a little bit of both. Today, we have artificial narrow intelligence, useful for single functions (e.g., driving 18 wheelers). Next comes artificial general intelligence, a time when computers can write their own code. When machines can set their own goals, we will have reached the stage of artificial superintelligence and what life will be like then is uncertain and a matter of debate.
- Gabbatt, Adam. 2011. IBM Computer Watson Wins Jeopardy. The Guardian, London, February 17. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/feb/17/ibm-computer-watson-wins-jeopardy. Retrieved January 20, 2018.
- Galeon, Dan, and C. Reedy. 2017. Kurzweil Claims That the Singularity Will Happen by 2045. Futurism, October 5. https://futurism.com/kurzweil-claims-that-the-singularity-will-happen-by-2045/. Retrieved January 21, 2018.
- Kurzweil, Ray. 2005. The Singularity Is Near. New York: Viking.Google Scholar
- Metz, Carl. 2016. In a Huge Breakthrough, Google’s AI Beats a Top Player at the Game of Go. Wired, San Francisco, CA, January 27. https://www.wired.com/2016/01/in-a-huge-breakthrough-googles-ai-beats-a-top-player-at-the-game-of-go. Retrieved January 20, 2018.
- Portero, Ashley. Beliefs on Wearing Hats in Religion. Santa Monica, CA: Classroom, Leaf Group. http://classroom.synonym.com/beliefs-wearing-hats-religion-5238.html. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- Replika. 2018. Luka, Inc. The Apple Store. https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1158555867. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- Snyder, B. 2015. Bill Gates, Steve Hawking Say Artificial Intelligence Represents Real Threat. Framingham, MA: CIO. https://www.cio.com/article/2877482/consumer-technology/bill-gates-stephen-hawking-say-artificial-intelligence-represents-real-threat.html. Retrieved February 17, 2018.
- Wall, B. 2007. Computers and Chess, a History. A Chess Blog, August 7. https://www.chess.com/article/view/computers-and-chess--a-history. Retrieved January 20, 2018.