Bridging Urban/Rural and Digital Divides: New Directions in Youth Media Education
Goodman gives an inspiring account of new directions in youth media education, analyzing the Educational Video Center’s methodology of bridging the growing urban/rural and digital divides in America by bringing youth together to live, learn, and collaboratively create Web sites and documentaries about urgent problems plaguing their urban and rural communities. Closely following the experiences of two of the participants—one from New York City and the other from Appalachia—this chapter offers unique insight into the interplay between the trauma, social disconnection, and material constraints these young filmmakers struggle to overcome, and the empowering possibilities that these pedagogical strategies open for emerging filmmakers as they learn to reach across cultural divides to form close friendships and resilient identities of authorial agency.
- Anderson, Monica. 2017. “Digital Divide Persists Even as Lower-Income Americans Make Gains in Tech Adoption.” Pew Research Center, March 22. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/03/22/digital-divide-persists-even-as-lower-income-americans-make-gains-in-tech-adoption/.
- Barnett, Erin. 2017. “Campbell County Ranks No. 3 in Nation for Opioid Prescriptions.” WATE.com, October 10. http://www.wate.com/news/local-news/campbell-county-ranks-no-3-in-nation-for-opioid-prescriptions_20171128080324683/866256940.
- ———. 2018. “Campbell County Students Produce Documentary About Opioid Epidemic.” WATE.com, January 23. http://www.wate.com/news/local-news/campbell-county-students-produce-documentary-about-opioid-epidemic/935061586.
- Del Real, Jose A. 2017. “The Bronx’s Quiet, Brutal War with Opioids.” New York Times, October 12. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/nyregion/bronx-heroin-fentanyl-opioid-overdoses.html.
- Educational Video Center and Rural Video. 2017a. “Clayton Banks of Silicon Harlem.” Educational Video Center and Rural Video. https://weareallconnected.wixsite.com/weareallconnected.
- ———. 2017b. “East Tennessee Internet Access.” Educational Video Center and Rural Video. https://weareallconnected.wixsite.com/weareallconnected.
- ———. 2017c. “James’ Letter.” Educational Video Center and Rural Video. https://weareallconnected.wixsite.com/weareallconnected.
- Federal Communications Commission. 2016. “2016 Broadband Progress Report.” FCC.gov, January 29. https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/reports/broadband-progress-reports/2016-broadband-progress-report.
- Gibson, Caitlin. 2016. “The Disconnected: Teen Lives and Futures Depend on the Internet. What Happens When They Can’t Afford It?” Washington Post, September 6. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2016/09/06/teen-lives-depend-on-the-internet-what-happens-when-they-cant-afford-it/?utm_term=.97dde95a2a07.
- Goodman, Benjamin, ed. 1986. Mountain Video Review. Newsletter. New York: Educational Video Center and Rural Video.Google Scholar
- Goodman, Steven. 2018. It’s Not About Grit. Trauma, Inequity and the Power of Transformative Teaching. New York: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Hoechsmann, Michael and Stuart R. Poyntz. (2011) 2012. Media Literacies: A Critical Introduction. Malden: Wiley Blackwell.Google Scholar
- HOPE: Helping Open People’s Eyes. 2017. Produced by Peyton Berry-Muse, Andrew Buttram, James Hatfield, Emily Ivey, Kendri Feliz, Gabriel Martinez, Griselys Peña, and Serenah Vaughan. Film. Educational Video Center and Rural Video. https://weareallconnected.wixsite.com/weareallconnected/opioidfilm.
- HTL, Inc. 2018. “Clairfield, TN 37715 ZIP Code Profile.” TN HomeTownLocator. Last updated August 1. https://tennessee.hometownlocator.com/zip-codes/data,zipcode,37715.cfm.
- Hull, Glynda A., Nora L. Kenney, Stacy Marple, and Ali Forsman-Schneider. 2006. Many Versions of Masculine: An Exploration of Boys’ Identity Formation Through Digital Storytelling in an Afterschool Program. Afterschool Matters 6 (Spring): 1–42.Google Scholar
- Letta’s Family. 1985. Directed by Steven Goodman and Suzanne Valenza. Film. Educational Video Center and Rural Video.Google Scholar
- Making a Home on Roses Creek. 1986. Directed by Ben Goodman. Film. Educational Video Center and Rural Video.Google Scholar
- Myers, Katie. 2018. “Power Lines: Broadband Access and Inequality in East Tennessee.” Scalawag, January 4. https://www.scalawagmagazine.org/2018/01/power-lines-broadband-and-democracy-in-east-tennessee/.
- Purcell, Kristen, Alan Heaps, Judy Buchanan, and Linda Friedrich. 2013. “How Teachers Are Using Technology at Home and in Their Classrooms.” Pew Research Center, February 28. http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/02/28/how-teachers-are-using-technology-at-home-and-in-their-classrooms/.
- United States Census Bureau. 2017a. “QuickFacts Bronx County (Bronx Borough), New York; UNITED STATES.” United States Census Bureau: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/bronxcountybronxboroughnewyork,US/PST045217#viewtop.
- ———. 2017b. “QuickFacts Claiborne County, Tennessee.” United States Census Bureau: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/claibornecountytennessee/INC110216#viewtop.
- Vasudevan, Lalitha. 2015. Multimodal Play and Adolescents: Notes on Noticing Laughter. Journal of Language and Literacy Education 11 (1): 1–12.Google Scholar
- Vick, Karl. 2017. “The Digital Divide: A Quarter of the Nation Is Without Broadband.” Time, March 30. http://time.com/4718032/the-digital-divide/.
- Wilson, Deidre. 2017. “JHS Students Head to Big Apple to Screen Film on Opioid Abuse.” LaFollette Press, December 27. http://www.lafollettepress.com/content/jhs-students-head-big-apple-screen-film-opioid-abuse.