Coagulation Management in Neurosurgical Critical Care
Neurocritical care patients are at extremely high risk for complications related to hereditary or acquired coagulopathies, as well as venous thromboembolic complications. The benefits of pharmacologic prevention and treatment of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) must be weighed against the risk of catastrophic intracranial or perispinal hemorrhage. This section focuses on the two most common coagulation management issues: (1) thromboembolic disease and (2) coagulopathy.
KeywordsThromboembolic disease Coagulopathy Disseminated intravascular coagulation Pulmonary ventilation flow scan Critical care
- Chatterjee S, Sardar P, Biondi-Zoccai G, Kumbhani DJ. New oral anticoagulants and the risk of intracranial hemorrhage: traditional and Bayesian meta-analysis and mixed treatment comparison of randomized trials of new oral anticoagulants in atrial fibrillation. JAMA Neurol. 2013;70:1486–90.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Droubatchevskaia N, Wong WP, Chipperfield KM, Wadsworth LD, Ferguson DJ. Guidelines for cryoprecipitate transfusion.Google Scholar
- Irem Baharoglu M, Cordonnier C, Al-Shahi Salman R, de Gans K, Koopman MM, Brand A, Majoie CB, Beenen LF, Marquering HA, Vermeulen M, Nederkoorn PJ, de Haan RJ, Roos YB. Platelet transfusion versus standard care after acute stroke due to spontaneous cerebral haemorrhage associated with antiplatelet therapy (PATCH): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2016;387:2605–13.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Karafin MS, Hilyer CD, Shaz BH. Principles of plasma transfusion: plasma, cryoprecipitate, albumin, and immunoglobulins. In: Hoffman R, Benz EJ, Silberstein LE, Heslop H, Weltz J, Anstasi J, editors. Hematology: diagnosis and treatment. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2012. p. 1683–94.Google Scholar
- Praxbind®. Ridgefield: Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals; 2015. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2015/761025lbl.pdf.
- Sachdeva A1, Dalton M, Amaragiri SV, Lees T. Elastic compression stockings for prevention of deep vein thrombosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;7:CD001484.Google Scholar