A Comparison of Inhaled Anesthesia and Total Intravenous Anesthesia with Target-Controlled Infusion for Neuroanesthesia
This chapter compares anesthetic outcomes following the administration of volatile or intravenous agents in daily neuroanesthesiology practice. We also provide state-of-art understanding of the role of intravenous anesthetics as neuroprotectants. Intravenous drugs have demonstrated to be more specific for each component in anesthesia. Target-controlled infusion (TCI) has shown more flexibility and gives more precision in the administration form of the drugs. Finally, we summarize concept of target-controlled infusion (TCI) and the most used intravenous drugs to improve the act of titration and individualizing the requirement of each patient. Combination of adequate drugs and titration are the advantage of the TIVA-TCI technique to contribute to prevent postoperative cognitive dysfunction and delirium and optimize brain homeostasis.
KeywordsTotal intravenous anesthesia Bispectral index Processed EEG Remifentanil Dexmedetomidine
- Chui J, Mariappan R, Mehta J, Manninen P, Venkatraghavan L. Comparison of propofol and volatile agents for maintenance of anaesthesia during elective craniotomy procedures: systematic review and meta-analysis. Can J Anaesth. 2014;61(4):347–56. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-014-0118-9. Epub 2014 Jan 31CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jevtovic-Todorovic V, Absalom AR, Blomgren K, Brambrink A, Crosby G, Culley DJ, Fiskum G, Giffard RG, Herold KF, Loepke AW, Ma D, Orser BA, Planel E, Slikker W Jr, Soriano SG, Stratmann G, Vutskits L, Xie Z, Hemmings HC Jr. Anaesthetic neurotoxicity and neuroplasticity: an expert group report and statement based on the BJA Salzburg Seminar. Br J Anaesth. 2013;111(2):143–51.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lin B-F, Huang Y-S, Kuo C-P, Ju D-T, Lu C-H, Cherng C-H, Wu C-T. Comparison of A-line autoregressive index and observer assessment of alertness/sedation scale for monitored anesthesia care with target-controlled infusion of propofol in patients undergoing percutaneous vertebroplasty. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2011;23:6–11.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Whitlock EL, Villafranca AJ, Lin N, Palanca BJ, Jacobsohn E, Finkel KJ, Zhang L, Burnside BA, Kaiser HA, Evers AS, Avidan MS. Relationship between Bispectral Index values and volatile anesthetic concentrations during the maintenance phase of anesthesia in the B-Unaware trial. Anesthesiology. 2011;115:1209–18.Google Scholar
- Absalom AR, Glen JB (Iain), Zwart GJC, Schnider TW, Struys MMRF. Target-controlled infusion. Anesth Analg. 122(1):70–8.Google Scholar