Millennials Versus Gen Z: Online Shopping Behaviour in an Emerging Market
The purpose of this paper is to highlight behavioural differences in online shopping via technical devices used by Millennials (Gen Y) and Gen Z in an emerging market. The research was conducted on 1233 respondents from an emerging market using the survey method, in which the working tool was a face-to-face questionnaire administered by volunteers. The results reveal that both generations still prefer shopping in bricks-and-mortar stores to online shopping, while Gen Z mostly prefer shopping online with their smartphones. Gen Y shop online fairly frequently, and services are purchased exclusively online by Gen Z. The present paper contributes to the development of the literature on generational theory, helping retailers to develop offers through the proper targeting of Millennials and Gen Z, and to understand the ways in which good customer experience during the shopping process can be created for young people in an emerging market.
KeywordsMillennials Generation Z Generational theory E-stores Online shopping E-commerce Emerging market Technical devices Apps
- Accenture. Generation Z to switch the majority of purchases. 2017. www.accenture.com/t20170210T012359__w__/us-en/_acnmedia/PDF-44/Accenture-Retail-Customer-Journey-Research-2017-Infographic.pdf. Accessed 3 Apr 2018.
- ASR. Romanian statistical annuary. 2014. www.insse.ro/cms/sites/default/files/field/.../anuarul_statistic_al_romaniei_1.pdf. Accessed 2 Jan 2017.
- Barber, N., Taylor, D. C., & Strick, S. (2010). Selective marketing to environmentally concerned wine consumers: A case for location, gender and age. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 27(1), 64–75.Google Scholar
- Bernstein R. Move over Millennials - here comes Gen Z. Ad Age. 2015. http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/move-millennials-gen-z/296577. Accessed 2 Apr 2018.
- Bulman M. Number of young adults living with parents reaches record high. Independent UK. 2017. www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/young-adults-live-parents-at-home-property-buy-homeowners-housing-market-a8043891.html. Accessed 14 Apr 2018.
- Churchill GA. Marketing research: methodological foundation. 5th ed. Fort Worth: The Dryden Press; 1991.Google Scholar
- Dabija DC. Cercetări de marketing aplicate în comert,ul de retail românesc. Bucharest: ASE Publishing House; 2013.Google Scholar
- Dabija DC. Enhancing green loyalty towards apparel retail stores: a cross-generational analysis on an emerging market. J Open Innov Technol Mark Complex. 2018;4(8):1–16.Google Scholar
- Dabija DC, Băbuţ R, Dinu V, Lugojan M. Cross-generational analysis of information searching based on social media in Romania. Transform Bus Econ. 2017;16(2(41)):248–70.Google Scholar
- Dabija DC, Grant D. Investigating shopping experience and fulfillment in omnichannel retailing: a proposed comparative study in Romanian and UK of generation Y consumers. In: Menachof D, editor. Doing the right things. Ethical issues in logistics and supply chair. Abstracts of the 21st annual logistics research network conference. Corby: The Logistics Institute; 2016. p. 53.Google Scholar
- Dabija DC, Postelnicu C, Dinu V. Cross-generational investigation of ethics and sustainability. Insights from Romanian retailing. In: Idowu SO, Sitnikov C, Simion D, Bocean C, (eds) Current issues in corporate social responsibility. An international consideration. Cham: Springer; 2018. p. 141–63. e-ISBN 978-3-319-70449-4; ISBN 978-3-319-70448-7; ISSN 2196-7075. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-70449-4_10Google Scholar
- Dhanapal S, Vashu D, Subramaniam T. Perceptions on the challenges of online purchasing: a study from “baby boomers”, generation “X” and generation “Y” point of views. Contad Adm. 2015;60(1):107–32.Google Scholar
- Economica. Salariu mediu net 2018. Economica.net. 2018. www.economica.net/castigul-salarial-mediu-net-a-crescut-in-februarie-cu-11-2prc-la-2-487-lei_152376.html. Accessed 1 Apr 2018.
- French L. As more Millennials are choosing to freelance, employers must evolve to suit employees’ needs. World Finance. 2017. www.worldfinance.com/strategy/as-more-millennials-are-choosing-to-freelance-employers-must-evolve-to-suit-employees-needs. Accessed 14 Apr 2018.
- Fromm J. How much financial influence does Gen Z have? 2018. www.forbes.com/sites/jefffromm/2018/01/10/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-financial-impact-of-gen-z-influence/#646f219056fc. Accessed 12 Apr 2018.
- GPEC. Situat,ia piet,ei de e-commerce în România în 2017. 2018. www.gpec.ro/blog/situatia-pietei-de-e-commerce-in-romania-in-2017-video. Accessed 5 Apr 2018.
- Inglehart R. The silent revolution: changing values and political styles among Western publics. Princeton: Princeton University Press; 1977.Google Scholar
- Jain V, Pant S. Navigating generation Y for effective mobile marketing in India: a conceptual framework. Int J Mob Mark. 2012;7(3):56–65.Google Scholar
- Lau TC, Lim Y, Yap M. Online search and buying behavior: Malaysian experience social. Can Sci. 2010;6(4):154–66.Google Scholar
- Lehtonen TK, Maenpaa P. Shopping in the east centre mall. In: Fall P, Campbell C, editors. The shopping experience. London: Sage Publications; 1997.Google Scholar
- Matthews V. Generation Z. Personnel Today. 2008. www.personneltoday.com/hr/generation-z-new-kids-on-the-virtual-block/. Accessed 2 Apr 2018.
- Meredith GE, Schewe CD. The power of cohorts. Am Demogr. 1994;16(12):22–31.Google Scholar
- Merriman M. A new generation with unique experiences, beliefs and behaviors. They are Gen Z. Ernst & Young LLP. 2015. www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY-rise-of-gen-znew-challenge-for-retailers/$FILE/EY-rise-of-gen-znew-challenge-for-retailers.pdf. Accessed 3 Apr 2018.
- NRF. Uniquely Gen Z. National Retail Federation. 2018. https://nrf.com/resources/retail-library/uniquely-gen-z. Accessed 12 Apr 2018.
- Obucina V. Romania shows fast economic growth after 10 years in the EU. Financial Observer. 2017. https://financialobserver.eu/cse-and-cis/romania/romania-shows-fast-economic-growth-after-10-years-in-eu. Accessed 12 Apr 2018.
- Pine BJ II, Gilmore JH. The experience economy. Boston: Harvard Business Press; 2011.Google Scholar
- Plăias, I, editor. Cercetări de marketing. Cluj-Napoca: Risoprint; 2008.Google Scholar
- Pop NA, Dabija DC. Fostering loyalty through social responsibility actions in Romanian retail. Romanian J Mark. 2014;9(4):11–32.Google Scholar
- Schlossberg M. Teen generation Z is being called ‘Millennials on Steroids’ and that could be terrifying for retailers. Business Insider UK. 2016. www.businessinsider.com/millennials-vs-gen-z-2016-2. Accessed 10 Apr 2018.
- Schroeder J. How to tap into the Millennial $200 billion buying power with social media. 2017. www.forbes.com/sites/julesschroeder/2017/10/31/how-to-tap-into-the-millennial-200-billion-buying-power-with-social-media/#3d6cb03e1161. Accessed 3 Apr 2018.
- SGI. Speed Global Index Worldwide. 2018. www.speedtest.net/global-index. Accessed 10 Apr 2018.
- Soltan R. The tween market: keeping our collections attractive, practical and effective. Library Youth Services Consultant and Staff Person, Educational Resources Laboratory. Oakland University; 2004. www.mlaforum.org/volumeIII/issue1/Article2Tweens.html. Accessed 10 Apr 2018.
- Spiro C. Generation Y in the work place. Defense AT&L. November–December. 2006. pp. 16–19. www.cioindex.com/nm/articlefiles/64130-UnderstandingGenY.pdf. Accessed 10 Apr 2018.
- Strauss W, Howe N. Generations: the history of America’s future, 1584 to 2069. New York: William Morrow & Company; 1991.Google Scholar
- Twenge JM, Campbell SM, Hoffman BJ, Lance CE. Generational differences in work values: leisure and extrinsic values increasing, social and intrinsic values decreasing. J Manag. 2010;36(5):1117–42.Google Scholar
- Williams KC, Page RA. Marketing to the generations. J Behav Stud Bus. 2010;3:37–52.Google Scholar
- Wood S. Generation Z as consumers: trends and innovation. Raleigh: Institute for Emerging Issues, NC State University; 2013.Google Scholar
- Young E. How millenials get news: inside the habits of America’s first digital generation. Chicago: Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research & American Press Institute; 2015.Google Scholar