Development and Modification of Existing Canine Wheelchair into Cost Effective Model
Cases of hind limb paralysis (paraplegia), motor neuron dysfunction, amputation, general weakness, myelopathy & trauma are increasing but at the same time, alternatives of canine wheelchairs are very limited and also very costly. Most of the cases include stray & homeless dogs. Therefore, the purpose of the project is to modify the existing canine wheelchairs into an economic ambulatory apparatus, affordable to various NGOs and stray-animal caretakers, being fully functional, lightweight and comfortable and adjustable to the animal at the same time. The current wheelchairs available (Dog wheelchair cost range in India. https://www.indiamart.com/innovation-india/support-wheelchair.html) are in the price range of ₹4200–10,500. They are made of MS bars or pipes which are heavy & hinder movement. The proposed model is made from PVC pipes which results in reduction of cost without reducing strength. The wheelchair can be assembled & a front wheel attachment can be added for extra support. The new model is hence cost competitive.
KeywordsStray dogs Hind limb paralysis Cost-effective PVC wheelchair Adjustable Self-assembled
- 1.Dog wheelchair cost range in India. https://www.indiamart.com/innovation-india/support-wheelchair.html
- 3.Catherine Pickles, Hubble, and Hattie: Dogs and Pups Magazine (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Existing wheelchair. https://www.amazon.in/Walkin-Wheels-Wheelchair-Large-Blue/DP/B01BT7UJ1W
- 5.Dr. Shah HJ, Junnarkar SB (1952) Mechanics of structures, vol. 1, CharotarGoogle Scholar
- 6.Stress-strain curve for PVC, Al, and steel. www.google.co.in