Color Primary Correction of Image and Video Between Different Source and Destination Color Spaces
This article presents an introductory review of color correction—a color remapping of image and video between different source and destination color spaces. The review specifically focuses on two main aspects of color remapping—primary color space conversion and gamut mapping—and outlines the requirements, algorithms, methods, and possible implementation options.
KeywordsColor space Tristimulus values Chromaticity coordinate RGB sRGB CIE XYZ Color space conversion Color gamut Gamut mapping Rendering intent ICC profiles MacAdams ellipse 3D LUT
The author is grateful to Jeroen Stessen for valuable and insightful discussions over the years that have led to many of the explanations presented in this article. Jeroen has been extremely gracious in proof reading of the material presented, and in permitting usage of diagrams from his 2007 presentation on extended color gamut at the HPA Tech Retreat . At the time of the collaboration, Jeroen was a Senior Scientist at Philips Group Innovation, Intellectual Property & Standards, Eindhoven, Netherlands; he is currently a Principal Engineer at V-Silicon.
- 1.“Trichromacy,” [Online]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Trichromacy&oldid=878916396.
- 2.“John the Math Guy - Applied math and color science with a liberal sprinkling of goofy humor.,” [Online]. Available: http://johnthemathguy.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-long-medium-and-short-of-cones.html.
- 3.“List of color spaces and their uses,” Wikipedia, [Online]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_color_spaces_and_their_uses&oldid=847070964.
- 4.“RGB color model,” Wikipedia, [Online]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=RGB_color_model&oldid=879201669.
- 5.“CIE,” [Online]. Available: http://www.cie.co.at/.
- 6.“CIE 1931 color space,” [Online]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title= CIE_1931_color_space&oldid=873140583.
- 7.C. Poynton, “Color FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions Color,” [Online]. Available: https://poynton.ca/notes/colour_and_gamma/ColorFAQ.html.
- 8.“PNG (Portable Network Graphics) Specification, Version 1.2,” [Online]. Available: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/spec/1.2/PNG-ColorAppendix.html.
- 9.“HOW IS OBJECTIVE COLOUR MEASUREMENT ACHIEVED?,” Admesy - ADVANCED MEASUREEMNT SYSTEMS, [Online]. Available: https://www.admesy.com/objective-colour-measurement-achieved/.
- 10.“White point,” [Online]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=White_point &oldid=875229464.
- 11.“Illuminant D65,” [Online]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Illuminant _D65&oldid=874275113.
- 12.J. Stessen, “Extended Color Gamut for Consumers - the Display side,” in HPA Technology Retreat, 2007.Google Scholar
- 13.King, James C;, “Why Color Management?,” Adobe Systems Incorporated, [Online]. Available: http://www.color.org/whycolormanagement.pdf.
- 14.“International Color Consortium,” [Online]. Available: http://www.color.org/.
- 15.A. Ford and A. Roberts, “Colour Space Conversions,” [Online]. Available: https://poynton.ca/PDFs/coloureq.pdf.
- 16.“Chromatic adaptation,” [Online]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title= Chromatic_adaptation&oldid=867388112.
- 17.T. Bronner, R. Boitard, M. Pourazad, P. Nasiopoulos and I. Ebrahimi, “Evaluation of Color Mapping Algorithms in Different Color Spaces,” in Proc. SPIE 9971, Applications of Digital Image Processing, 2016.Google Scholar
- 18.S. Zamir, J. Vazquez-Corral and M. Bertalmio, “Gamut Mapping in Cinematography through Perceptually-based Contrast Modification,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, vol. 8, no. 3, 2014.Google Scholar
- 19.E. H. Land and J. J. McCann, “Lightness and retinex theory,” Journal of the Optical Society of America, 1971.Google Scholar
- 20.P. Zolliker and K. Simon, “Continuity of Gamut Mapping Algorithm,” Journal of Electronic Imaging, vol. 15, no. 1, 2006.Google Scholar
- 21.A. Johnson, “Colour Appearance Research for Interactive System Management and Application (CARISMA), Report WP2-19 Color Gamut Compression,” 1992.Google Scholar
- 22.G. Addari, Colour Gamut Mapping for Ultra-HD TV, M.S. Thesis, Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Surrey, 2016.Google Scholar
- 23.L. Neumann and A. Neumann, “Gamut Clipping and Mapping based on Coloroid System,” in Proceedings of Second European Conference on Colour in Graphics, Imaging and Vision, 2004.Google Scholar
- 24.M. Ito and N. Katohs “Gamut Compression for Computer Generated Images,” in Extended Abstracts of SPSTJ 70th Anniversary Symposium on Fine Imaging, 1995.Google Scholar
- 25.E. Sikudova, T. Pouli, A. Artusi, A. Aky, A. Akyuz, F. Banterle, Z. Mazlumoglu and E. Reinhard, “Gamut Mapping Framework for Color-Accurate Reproduction of HDR Images,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 36, no. 4, 2016.Google Scholar
- 26.“Colour conversion from Recommendation ITU-R BT.709 to Recommendation ITU-R BT.2020,” International Telecommunication Union, 2015.Google Scholar
- 27.J. Laird, R. Muijs and J. Kuang, “Development and evaluation of gamut extension algorithms,” Wiley Online Library, 2009. [Online]. Available: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/col.20537.
- 28.S. W. Zamir, “Perceptually-Inspired Gamut Mapping for Display and Projection Technologies,” PhD Thesis, Universitat Pompeu Fabra Barcelona, 2017.Google Scholar
- 29.“Introduction to Colour Spaces,” Graphic Quality Consultancy, [Online]. Available: https://www.colourphil.co.uk/lab_lch_colour_space.shtml.
- 30.S. Gang, L. Yihui and L. Hua, “A gamut extension algorithm based on RGB space for wide-gamut displays,” in IEEE 13th International Conference on Communication Technology, 2011.Google Scholar
- 31.T. Hirokawa, M. Inui, T. Morioka and Y. Azuma, “A Psychophysical Evaluation of a Gamut Expansion Algorithm Based on Chroma Mapping II: Expansion within Object Color Data Bases,” in NIP & Digital Fabrication Conference, International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies (Society for Imaging Science and Technology), 2007.Google Scholar
- 32.J. Morovic, Color Gamut, Wiley-IS&T Series in Imaging Science and Technology ed., vol. Book 10, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.Google Scholar
- 33.J. Gurney, “Gurney Journey Part 1: Gamut Masking Method,” [Online]. Available: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2011/09/part-1-gamut-masking-method.html.
- 34.J. Gurney, “Gurney Journey Part 2: Gamut Masking Method,” [Online]. Available: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2011/09/part-2-gamut-masking-method.html.
- 35.J. Gurney, “Gurney Journey Part 3: Gamut Masking Method,” [Online]. Available: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2011/09/part-3-gamut-masking-method.html.
- 36.“Colour Management - How It Works,” Graphic Quality Consultancy, [Online]. Available: https://www.colourphil.co.uk/rendering_intents.shtml.
- 37.A. Rodney, “What is color management? Part 5: Rendering Intents and ICC profiles,” [Online]. Available: http://digitaldog.net/files/05Rendering%20Intents%20and %20ICC%20profiles.pdf.
- 38.“Rendering Intents,” Microsoft - Windows Dev Center, [Online]. Available: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd372183(v=vs.85).aspx.
- 39.D. Chinnery, “BLOG: HARD PROOFING TECHNIQUES – A PRACTICAL EXAMPLE,” [Online]. Available: http://www.dougchinnery.com/hard-proofing/.
- 40.“CAMBRIDGE in COLOUR - A LEARNING COMMUNITY FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS,” [Online]. Available: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/color-space-conversion.htm.
- 41.“Color appearance model,” [Online]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Color_appearance_model&oldid=851919289.
- 42.“Colour gamut conversion from Recommendation ITU-R BT.2020 to Recommendation ITU-R BT.709,” International Telecommunication Union, 2017.Google Scholar
- 43.J. Dise, “An Introduction to LUTs,” B&H, [Online]. Available: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/introduction-luts.
- 44.J. Elwyn, “https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/using-luts-to-match-a-real-film-look/,” [Online].
- 45.Y. Kim, Y. Cho, C. Lee and Y. Ha, “Color Look-Up Table Design for Gamut Mapping and Color Space Conversion,” in IS&Ts International Conference on Digital Production Printing and Industrial Applications, 2003.Google Scholar
- 46.J. Selan, “GPU Gems - Chapter 24. Using Lookup Tables to Accelerate Color Transformations,” [Online]. Available: https://developer.nvidia.com/gpugems/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter24.html.
- 47.J. Frohlich, A. Schilling and B. Eberhardt, “Gamut Mapping for Digital Cinema,” in SMPTE 2013 Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition, 2013.Google Scholar