Redundancy Analysis of Steel Truss Girder Bridge
In this paper, the redundancy analysis of simply supported steel truss Girder Bridge has been studied. This paper presents a direct method to determine the redundancy level of the intact bridge using nonlinear analysis. The scope of the study includes checking the redundancy of an intact bridge under the effects of heavy loads as well as evaluating potential hazards to a damaged bridge. For analyzing the redundancy of a bridge, structural model and finite element analysis which considers elastic and inelastic behavior of bridge members are considered. The pushdown analysis is performed on the originally intact bridge. The ABAQUS software is used for the analysis of the intact bridge and the results of the analysis from the models are checked for stresses and nodal displacements. These results are further used for calculating the redundancy ratios for ultimate limit state, functionality limit state and for the damaged limit state.
KeywordsRedundancy Nonlinear analysis Redundancy ratio Truss bridge Load factor
- 1.Bhavikatti SS (2013) Design of steel structure, 4th edn. I K International Publishing House Pvt. Ltd: New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- 2.Ghosn M, Moses F (1998) NCHRP 406. In: Redundnacy in highway bridge superstructure. Department of Civil Engineering, The City University of New York, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.Nagavi R, Aktan A (2003) Nonlinear analysis of heavy class steel Truss Bridges. J Struct Eng 129(8):1113–1121. ASCEGoogle Scholar
- 5.Husain M, Tsopelas P (2004) Measures of structural redundancy in reinforced concrete structures I: Redundancy indices. J Struct Eng 130(11):1651–1658. ASCEGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ghosn M, Fiorillo G (2013) Nonlinear redundancy analysis of truss bridges. National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report (776): B.1–23Google Scholar