Fold Scope: A Low-Cost Magnification Device and Its Applications in Various Fields
Foldscope can be used in various disciplines like material science, physics, chemistry and life science such as biology and cell biology. In this paper, we present the applications of foldscope which can be used by everyone for various research as well as development purpose. We describe the experimental way by implementing foldscope on different applications which people can refer to learn how to use the Foldscope. We have displayed the results using a sophisticated camera in our case a mobile phone camera. People can similarly use imaging devices to show the effect and learn life at a microscopic level more precisely. We have used this foldscope in Food testing and nutrition, Sanitary care, Environment control and in the Agricultural field. We have also shown the use of foldscope in the educational field.
KeywordsFoldscope Origami-based paper microscope Education
The authors gratefully acknowledge the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India for providing a fund for this research and express sincere gratitude towards James Cybulski, James Clements and Manu Prakash for designing and providing Foldscope.
- 1.Keller E, Goldman R (2006) Light microscopy. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Woodbury, p 8Google Scholar
- 2.Whitesides GM (2011) The frugal way. The economist – the world in 2012. Whitesides Research Group, Cambridge, MAGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hoover AM, Fearing RS (2008) Fast scale prototyping for folded millirobots. IEEE Int Conf Robot Automat 5:886–892Google Scholar
- 6.Whitney JP, Sreetharan PS, Ma KY, Wood RJ (2011) Pop-up book MEMS. J Micromech Microeng 21(115021):1–7Google Scholar
- 7.Sreetharan PS, Whitney JP, Strauss MD, Wood RJ (2012) Monolithic fabrication of millimetre-scale machines. J Micromech Microeng 22(055027):1–6Google Scholar