Predicting Future Market Trends: Which Is the Optimal Window?
The problem of predicting future market trends has been attracting the interest of researches, mathematicians, and financial analysts for more then fifty years. Many different approaches have been proposed to solve the task. However only few of them have focused on the selection of the optimal trend window to be forecasted and most of the research focuses on the daily prediction without a proper explanation. In this work, we exploit finance-related numerical and textual data to predict different trend windows through several learning algorithms. We demonstrate the non optimality of the daily trend prediction with the aim to establish a new guideline for future research.
KeywordsStock market prediction Learning from data Sentiment analysis Optimal window
- 1.Cambria, E., Fu, J., Bisio, F., Poria, S.: Affectivespace 2: enabling affective intuition for concept-level sentiment analysis. In: AAAI, pp. 508–514 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Ioffe, S., Szegedy, C.: Batch normalization: accelerating deep network training by reducing internal covariate shift. arXiv preprint arXiv:1502.03167 (2015)
- 6.Merello, S., Picasso, A., Ma, Y., Oneto, L., Cambria, E.: Investigating timing and impact of news on the stock market. In: IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, International Workshop on Sentiment Elicitation from Natural Text for Information Retrieval and Extraction (ICDM) (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Oancea, B., Ciucu, Ş.C.: Time series forecasting using neural networks. arXiv preprint arXiv:1401.1333 (2014)
- 8.Park, C.H., Irwin, S.H.: The profitability of technical analysis: a review. AgMAS Project Research Report 2004–04 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Picasso, A., Merello, S., Ma, Y., Oneto, L., Cambria, E.: Ensemble of technical analysis and machine learning for market trend prediction. In: IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI) (2018)Google Scholar
- 10.Rao, T., Srivastava, S.: Analyzing stock market movements using twitter sentiment analysis. In: Proceedings of the 2012 International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2012), pp. 119–123. IEEE Computer Society (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Schumaker, R., Chen, H.: Textual analysis of stock market prediction using financial news articles. In: AMCIS 2006 Proceedings, p. 185 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Xing, F.Z., Cambria, E., Malandri, L., Vercellis, C.: Discovering bayesian market views for intelligent asset allocation. arXiv preprint arXiv:1802.09911 (2018)
- 14.Xu, Y., Cohen, S.B.: Stock movement prediction from tweets and historical prices. In: ACL (2018)Google Scholar