Nigerian Tabloid Journalism and Corruption Practices
Brian explains that corruption affects the socio-economic fabric and development of Nigeria and threatens the existence of the country as a political entity. He notes that tabloid newspapers in the country are important partners, largely because of their sensational watchdog function of monitoring actions and inactions of those in power. Brian discusses the Lamido Sanusi scandal and the disappearance of over US$20 billion in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation in revenues. He also looks at the BMW scandal by the aviation minister in which millions of dollars were looted. Brian concludes that the role of anti-corruption tabloid newspapers is critical in the fight against corruption. He notes that tabloid journalists to expose corruption effectively require a high degree of responsibility, and involves editorial and gatekeeping decisions with regard to which information to report and which information to leave behind which enhances or damages the fight against corruption.
- Al Jazeera (2014). Nigeria fires official who uncovered billions in missing oil money. Retrieved from http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/20/nigeria-fires-officialwhouncoveredbillionsinmissingoilmoney.html.
- Alli, Y. (2017). USD 15 billion arms deals: Panel members seek protection from Buhari. Retrieved from http://saharareporters.com/2017/04/08/15bn-arms-deal-panel-members-seek-protection-buhari.
- Ani, S. (2010). The man Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. Retrieved from https://web.archive.org/web/20130513095246/http://www.gbooza.com/group/nigeriapolitics/forum/topics/the-man-goodluck-ebele#axzz2PIsF6bif.
- Babatunde-Fowler, W. (2016). Nigeria hunts down 700,000 companies over tax evasion. Retrieved from http://news.naijaobserver.com/view/43116/nigeria-hunts-down-700000-companies-over-tax-evasion.
- Bada, G. (2016). Agency sacks 29 senior officers for alleged corrupt practices. Retrieved from http://www.pulse.ng/news/local/nigeria-customs-service-agency-sacks-29-senior-officers-for-alleged-corrupt-practices-id5636191.html.
- Bakre, O. M. (2013). Crony capitalism, money laundering and the complicity of the accounting profession in Nigeria. Retrieved from https://www.escholar.manchester.ac.uk/api/datastream?publicationPid=uk-ac-man-scw:194899&datastreamId=FULL-TEXT.PDF.
- Bright, J. (2014). $20 billion and an ousted whistleblower threaten Nigeria’s fragile, carefully crafter success story. Retrieved from https://qz.com/182271/20-billion-and-an-ousted-whistleblower-threaten-nigerias-fragile-carefully-crafted-success-story/.
- BBC News. (2014). Nigeria central bank head Lamido Sanusi ousted. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26270561.
- BBC News. (2016). Nigerian Supreme Court judge charged with corruption. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38053755.
- Campbell, J. (2014). Nigeria Minister of Aviation Stella Oduah is in trouble. Retrieved from https://www.cfr.org/blog/nigerian-minister-aviation-stella-oduah-trouble.
- Eboh, C. (2013). Nigerian journalists charged over president story. Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nigeria-journalists/nigerian-journalists-charged-over-president-story-idUSBRE93F1DU20130416.
- Eboh, E. (2017). NEITI to FG: Don’t borrow, recover N7.2trn unremitted revenue to fund budget. Retrieved from https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/neiti-fg-dont-borrow-recover-n7-2trn-unremitted-revenue-fund-budget/.
- Emmanuel, O. (2014). Jonathan drops corrupt Aviation Minister, Stella Oduah, 3 others. Retrieved from https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/155031-breaking-jonathan-drops-corrupt-aviation-minister-stella-oduah-3-others.html.
- Faul, M. (2014). Lamido Sanusi. Retrieved from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/lamido-sanusi-brave-nigerian-bank-governor-who-fought-corruption-is-pushed-out-9145381.html.
- Freedom House. (2017a). Freedom of the world 2016. Retrieved from https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/freedom-world-2016.
- Freedom House. (2017b). Nigeria: Freedom of the press 2016. Retrieved from https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/2016/nigeria.
- GAN Integrity. (2017). Nigeria corruption report. Retrieved from https://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/nigeria/.
- Hang, Z. (2015). Nigerian journalist beaten by prison officials for photographs. Retrieved from http://globaljournalist.org/2015/11/nigerian-journalist-beaten-by-prison-officials-for-photographs/.
- Jannah, C. (2017). Former Governor, Bala James Ngilari sentenced to 5 years in prison. Retrieved from http://dailypost.ng/2017/03/06/breaking-efcc-secures-conviction-former-adamawa-governor-bala-ngilari/.
- Jibueze, J. (2018). Ladoja’s trial adjourned to March 19. Retrieved from http://thenationonlineng.net/ladojas-trial-adjourned-march-19/.
- Kaplan, E. D. (2017). GIJN joins calls for end to harassment of Premium Times by Nigerian military. Retrieved from https://gijn.org/2017/01/23/gijn-joins-calls-to-end-harassment-of-premium-times-by-nigerian-military/.
- Malden, A. (2017). Nigeria’s oil and gas revenues. Retrieved from https://resourcegovernance.org/analysis-tools/publications/nigerias-oil-and-gas-revenues-insights-new-company-disclosures.
- Ndiribe, O., Ovuakporie, E., & Nwabuhiogu, L. (2013). N225m cars scam. Retrieved from https://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/n225m-cars-scam-jonathan-queries-oduah/.
- Nsehe, M. (2015). Nigeria’s former petroleum minister arrested in London on corruption charge. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2015/10/02/nigerias-former-petroleum-minister-arrested-in-london-on-corruption-charge/#5e79d5e236ae.
- Nwabughiogu, L. (2016). FG removes 50,000 ghost workers from payroll. Retrieved from https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/12/fg-removes-50000-ghost-workers-payroll/.
- Okoye, R. (2012). Nigeria has lost $400bn oil revenue to corruption since Independence – Ezekwesili. Retrieved from http://dailypost.ng/2012/08/31/nigeria-lost-400bn-oil-revenue-corruption-since-independence-ezekwesili/.
- Oladimeji, R. (2015). BMW car scandal: EFCC tells court to dismiss former Aviation Minister Stella Oduah’s lawsuit. Retrieved from http://saharareporters.com/2015/09/04/bmw-car-scandal-efcc-tells-court-dismiss-former-aviation-minister-stella-oduah%E2%80%99s-lawsuit.
- Owete, F. (2013). Armoured cars scandal: Outrage as Nigerians demand Minister Stella Oduah’s sack, probe. Retrieved from https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/146789-armoured-cars-scandal-outrage-nigerians-demand-minister-stella-oduahs-sack-probe.html.
- Premium Times. (2017). Despite Malabu scandal, Shell, ENI will continue to operate OPL 245 - Nigerian govt. Retrieved from https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/230288-despite-malabu-scandal-shell-eni-will-continue-operate-opl-245-nigerian-govt.html.
- Ross, W. (2014a). Is Nigeria serious about tackling corruption. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26535530.
- Ross, W. (2014b). Nigeria central bank head Lamido Sanusi ousted. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26270561.
- Sahara Reporters. (2013). Nigeria’s minister of aviation armored BMW car scandal. Retrieved from http://saharareporters.com/2013/10/16/nigerias-minister-aviation-armored-bmw-car-scandal-car-sells-only-170k-europe-and-america.
- Sahara Reporters. (2014). Nigeria’s Aviation Minister, Stella Oduah, sacked. Retrieved from http://saharareporters.com/2014/02/12/nigeria%E2%80%99s-aviation-minister-stella-oduah-sacked.
- Temitayo. (2016). How police recovered N2.75m bribe from serving Assistant Commissioner of Police. Retrieved from http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/police-recovers-n2-75m-bribe-from-assistant-commissioner-of-police/.
- Transparency International. (2017). Corruption Perception Index 2016. Retrieved from https://www.transparency.org/country/NGA.
- Yusuf, A. (2015). Between Diezani, Jide Omokore and Kola Aluko: Inside the oil deals that cost Nigeria billions. Retrieved from http://saharareporters.com/2015/07/27/between-diezani-jide-omokore-and-kola-aluko-inside-oil-deals-cost-nigeria-billions.