Corruption and Tabloid Journalism in Cameroon
Brian explains that corruption in Cameroon is deeply rooted in government institutions. He discusses the anti-corruption tabloid journalism noting that the tabloid newspapers are critical platforms in discussing the culture of impunity when it comes to corruption. Brian explores the Albatross affair in which former Prime Minister Ephraim Inoni was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2013 for embezzlement following the purchase at great expense, a presidential aircraft with serious mechanical flaws on its maiden flight. He discusses the SNH scandal and tabloid journalist Germain Cyrille Ngota, the editor of Cameroon Express who died in his cell in Kondengui Prison while following a scandal in which millions of dollars were looted to purchase an offshore service ship. Brian concludes that corruption is endemic in the country and increases poverty levels, and it is within this context that tabloid newspapers play a very critical role.
- Akwei, I. (2016). Former ally of President Biya sentenced to 25 years for corruption. Retrieved from http://www.africanews.com/2016/06/22/former-ally-of-president-biya-sentenced-to-25-years-for-corruption/.
- Amabo, S. (2015). In Cameroon, press struggles with financial and official constraints. Retrieved from https://cpj.org/blog/2015/05/in-cameroon-press-struggle-with-financial-and-offi.php.
- Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs. (2017). Investment climate statement for 2017. Retrieved from https://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/ics/investmentclimatestatements/index.htm#wrapper.
- Centre for International Forestry Research. (2013). Cameroon’s hidden harvest: Commercial chainsaw logging, corruption, and livelihoods. Retrieved from http://www.cifor.org/library/3911/cameroons-hidden-harvest-commercial-chainsaw-logging-corruption-and-livelihoods/.
- Committee to Protect Journalists. (2009). In Cameroon, jailed editor sentenced for ‘insulting’ Biya. Retrieved from https://cpj.org/2009/12/in-cameroon-jailed-editor-sentenced-for-insulting.php.
- Committee to Protect Journalists. (2010). Cameroonian security agents detain 2 journalists. Retrieved from https://cpj.org/2010/02/cameroonian-security-agents-detain-2-journalists.php.
- Doing Business. (2017). Measuring business regulations. Retrieved from http://www.doingbusiness.org/.
- Enterprise Surveys. (2016). What businesses experience. Retrieved from http://www.enterprisesurveys.org/.
- Federation of African Journalists. (2010). Journalists under fire. Retrieved from https://www.nuj.org.uk/documents/faj-journalists-under-fire-cameroon/faj-report.pdf.
- Freedom House. (2016). Cameroon. Retrieved from https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/2016/cameroon.
- GAN Integrity. (2017). Cameroon corruption report. Retrieved from https://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/cameroon/.
- Impact. (2016). Transforming natural resource management empowering communities. Retrieved from https://impacttransform.org/en/.
- Jacinto, L. (2016). Abuse of power: African leaders and their flying machines. Retrieved from http://www.france24.com/en/20160422-africa-presidential-planes-power-prestige-corruption.
- Kindzeka, M. (2016). Corruption probe nabs 14 more Cameroon officials. Retrieved from https://www.voanews.com/a/cameroon-corruption-probe-arrests/3332488.html.
- KPMG. (2014). KPMG global mining institute: Cameroon country mining guide. Retrieved from https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/pdf/2014/06/cameroon-mining-guide.pdf.
- Ndangam, L. (2010). ‘Gombo’: Bribery and the corruption of journalism ethics in Cameroon. Ecquid Novi: Africa Journalism Studies, 27(2), 179–199. Retrieved from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02560054.2006.9653350?needAccess=true&journalCode=recq20.
- Owono, J. (2012). Paranoia and despair rule Cameroon. Retrieved from https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/06/2012625131523261361.html.
- SNH. (2018). SNH: A development catalyst for Cameroon. Retrieved from http://www.snh.cm/index.php/en/.
- Transparency International. (2017). Land corruption in Africa—Finding evidence, triggering change. Retrieved from https://www.conftool.com/landandpoverty2017/index.php?page=browseSessions&print=head&form_session=686.
- Transparency International. (2018). Cameroon. Retrieved from https://www.transparency.org/country/CMR.
- World Bank Group. (2016). Enterprise surveys: What businesses experience. Retrieved from http://www.enterprisesurveys.org/.