Trafigura: A Classic Investigation
This story of toxic dumping brings together key themes—the global nature of scandals; the need for collaboration; simultaneous publication; the role of media bosses; legal bullying and how to defeat it; false PR narratives; links with Greenpeace and lawyers Leigh, Day; the power of social media; and finally, the importance of getting discoveries effectively published. Trafigura experimented with a cheap refining process at sea and had the toxic residue dumped on choking people in Africa. Their lawyers and lobbyists peddled a false narrative denying their misdeeds, which was eventually defeated by a coalition of print and TV journalists from Norway, the Netherlands, and the UK. The Guardian famously used Twitter to defeat their so-called superinjunction.
- 1.Leigh, David. 2009. Dirty Business: How UK Firm Covered up Toxic Oil Disaster. Guardian, September 17.Google Scholar
- 2.Greenpeace/Amnesty. 2012. The Toxic Truth. Joint Report. Accessed November 18, 2018. https://www.greenpeace.org/international/publication/7245/the-toxic-truth/.
- 3.Minton, Treharne & Davis Ltd. 2006. Re: Caustic Tank Washings, Abidjan, Ivory Coast. Report. Accessed November 18, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/oct/16/carter-ruck-abandon-minton-injunction.
- 4.Trafigura. 2006. Statement from Trafigura Beheer BV re the Probo Koala. Clean Abidjan Project. Accessed November 18, 2018. http://clean-abidjan.blogspot.com/2006/09/statement-from-trafigura-beheer-bv-re.html.
- 5.Trommelen, Jeroen. 2006. Gifschip produceerde dodelijk afval op zee. Volkskrant, September 23.Google Scholar
- 6.Trafigura. 2006. Trafigura Tests Contradict Media Speculation. Press Release, September 24. Accessed November 18, 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20061105054741/http://www.trafigura.com:80/press_releases/press_statement_240906.aspx.
- 7.Polgreen, Lydia, and Marlise Simons. 2006. Global Sludge ends in tragedy for Ivory Coast. New York Times, October 2.Google Scholar
- 8.Sharp, Graham. 2006. Letter. New York Times, October 9.Google Scholar
- 9.Leigh, David. 2009. How Oil Traders Trafigura Tried to Limit the Damage Over Toxic Waste Allegations. Guardian. Accessed November 18, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/may/13/trafigura-pr-campaign-pollution-ivory-coast.
- 10.Nicolson, Stuart. 2007. Air Rage Case Against Tory Peer Dropped. Daily Mail, February 3.Google Scholar
- 11.Vidal, John. 2007. UK Class Action Starts Over Toxic Waste Dumped in Africa. Guardian. Accessed November 18, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2007/jan/08/pollution.internationalnews.
- 12.Trafigura. 2006. Trafigura Issue Libel Proceedings Against Leigh, Day & Co. Press Release, November 13. Accessed November 18, 2018. http://web.archive.org/web/20061122053311/http://www.trafigura.com/trafigura_news/probo_koala_updates/131106.aspx.
- 13.Turckheim, Eric. 2007. Interview. BBC Newsnight, August 16. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4OmZEaXgA.
- 14.Bakke, Synnove, and Kjersti Knudsen, 2010. Skup Method Report January 15. Accessed November 18, 2018. https://www.skup.no/sites/default/files/metoderapport/2009-20%2520Trafigura%2520hele%2520bildet%2520%28NRK%2520Brennpunkt%29.pdf.
- 15.Trommelen, Jeroen. 2009. Geen kwaad woord over hetn gifschip. Volkskrant, May 2.Google Scholar
- 16.Rusbridger, Alan. 2009. Written Evidence to Commons Committee on Culture, Media and Sport; Annex. Accessed November 18, 2018. https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmselect/cmcumeds/memo/press/m13102.htm. See also: Accessed January 26, 2018. https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmcumeds/362/9071417.htm.
- 17.Trafigura. 2008. Probo Koala Updates. Press Release, September 16. Accessed November 18, 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20081223045759/http://www.trafigura.com:80/our_news/probo_koala_updates.aspx.
- 18.Leigh, David. 2009. How Oil Traders Trafigura Tried To Limit the Damage. Guardian. Accessed November 18, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/may/13/trafigura-pr-campaign-pollution-ivory-coast.
- 19.Trommelen, Jeroen. 2009. De volledige reacties van de woordvoerders van Trafigura. Volkskrant, May 1.Google Scholar
- 20.Leigh, David. 2009. Papers Prove Trafigura Ship Dumped Toxic Waste. Guardian, May 14.Google Scholar
- 21.A peer, Lord Hain, used parliamentary privilege on October 25 2018 to name businessman Sir Philip Green as the subject of sexual harassment allegations which were covered by so-called Non-Disclosure Agreements. Accessed November 19, 2018. See https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/25/watch-sir-philip-green-named-parliament-businessman-centre-britains/.
- 22.Bakke, Synnove, and Kjersti Knudsen. 2009. A Spreading of Toxic Gags. Guardian. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/oct/26/spreading-toxic-injunctions.
- 23.Tait, Nigel. 2011. The Trafigura Story: Who Guards the Guardian? Inforrm legal blog. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://inforrm.org/2011/10/13/the-trafigura-story-who-guards-the-guardian-nigel-tait/.
- 24.Bakke, Synnove, and Kjersti Knudsen. 2009. Trafigura and the Monton Report. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.nrk.no/dokumentar/trafigura-and-the-minton-report-1.6816347.
- 25.Leigh, David. 2009. Gag on Guardian Reporting MP’s Trafigura Question Lifted. Guardian. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/oct/13/guardian-gagged-parliamentary-question.
- 26.———. 2009. Guardian Gagged From Reporting Parliament. Guardian. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/oct/12/guardian-gagged-from-reporting-parliament.
- 27.Booth, Robert. 2009. Trafigura: A Few Tweets and Freedom of Speech is Restored. Guardian. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/oct/13/trafigura-tweets-freedowm-of-speech.
- 29.Leigh, David. 2009. Trafigura Abandons Attempts to Keep Scientific Report Secret. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/oct/16/carter-ruck-abandon-minton-injunction.
- 30.Milmo, Cahal. 2010. Trafigura Found Guilty of Toxic Waste Offence. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/trafigura-found-guilty-of-toxic-waste-offence-2034313.html.
- 31.BBC. 2010. Trafigura Found Guilty of Exporting Toxic Waste. BBC News Africa. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-10735255.
- 32.International Consortium of Investigative Journalists. 2010. Daniel Pearl Awards. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.icij.org/about/awards/daniel-pearl-awards/.
- 33.Maitlis, Emily. 2009. BBC Newsnight Apology to Trafigura. Newsnight. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMYvFlqLpv8.