Route Planning for a Fleet of Electric Vehicles with Waiting Times at Charging Stations
Electric Vehicles (EVs) are the next wave of technology in the transportation industry. EVs are increasingly becoming common for personal transport and pushing the boundaries to become the mainstream mode of transportation. Use of such EVs in logistic fleets for delivering customer goods is not far from becoming reality. However, managing such fleet of EVs bring new challenges in terms of battery capacities and charging infrastructure for efficient route planning. Researchers have addressed such issues considering different aspects of the EVs such as linear battery charging/discharging rate, fixed travel times, etc. In this paper, we address the issue of waiting times due to limited charging capacity at the charging stations while planning the routes of EVs for providing pickup/delivery services. We provide an exact mathematical model of the problem considering waiting times of vehicle based on their arrival at the charging stations. We further develop a genetic algorithm approach that embeds Constraint Programming to solve the problem. We test our approach on a set of benchmark Solomon instances.
KeywordsElectric Vehicle Routing Problem Mixed integer linear programming Constraint Programming Genetic algorithm
This research is funded by the National Research Foundation Singapore under its Corp Lab @ University scheme and Fujitsu Limited as part of the A*STAR-Fujitsu-SMU Urban Computing and Engineering Centre of Excellence.
- 4.Van Duin, J., Tavasszy, L.A., Quak, H.: Towards electric-urban freight: first promising steps in the electric vehicle revolution (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Montoya, A., Guéret, C., Mendoza, J., Villegas, J.: The electric vehicle routing problem with partial charging and nonlinear charging function. Ph.D. thesis, LARIS (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Qin, H., Zhang, W.: Charging scheduling with minimal waiting in a network of electric vehicles and charging stations. In: Proceedings of the Eighth ACM international workshop on Vehicular inter-networking, pp. 51–60. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Froger, A., Mendoza, J.E., Jabali, O., Laporte, G.: A matheuristic for the electric vehicle routing problem with capacitated charging stations. Research report, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche sur les reseaux d’entreprise, la logistique et le transport (CIRRELT), June 2017. https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01559524
- 9.Xiong, Y., Gan, J., An, B., Miao, C., Bazzan, A.L.: Optimal electric vehicle charging station placement. In: IJCAI, pp. 2662–2668 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Solomon benchmark 100 nodes. https://www.sintef.no/projectweb/top/vrptw/solomon-benchmark/100-customers/. Accessed 15 Jun 2018