A Matheuristic for Green and Robust 5G Virtual Network Function Placement
We investigate the problem of optimally placing virtual network functions in 5G-based virtualized infrastructures according to a green paradigm that pursues energy-efficiency. This optimization problem can be modelled as an articulated 0-1 Linear Program based on a flow model. Since the problem can prove hard to be solved by a state-of-the-art optimization software, even for instances of moderate size, we propose a new fast matheuristic for its solution. Preliminary computational tests on a set of realistic instances return encouraging results, showing that our algorithm can find better solutions in considerably less time than a state-of-the-art solver.
Keywords5G Virtual Network Function Traffic uncertainty Robust Optimization Matheuristic
- 1.Larsson, C.: 5G Networks - Planning, Design and Optimization. Academic Press, Cambridge (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Baumgartner, A., Bauschert, T., D’Andreagiovanni, F., Reddy, V.S.: Towards robust network slice design under correlated demand uncertainties. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 1–7 (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Luizelli, M.C., Bays, L.R., Buriol, L.S., Barcellos, M.P., Gaspary, L.P.: Piecing together the NFV provisioning puzzle: efficient placement and chaining of virtual network functions. In: IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM), pp. 98–106 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.IBM ILOG CPLEX. http://www-01.ibm.com/software
- 14.Goldberg, D.: Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization & Machine Learning. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1988)Google Scholar