Can Genetic Programming Do Manifold Learning Too?
Exploratory data analysis is a fundamental aspect of knowledge discovery that aims to find the main characteristics of a dataset. Dimensionality reduction, such as manifold learning, is often used to reduce the number of features in a dataset to a manageable level for human interpretation. Despite this, most manifold learning techniques do not explain anything about the original features nor the true characteristics of a dataset. In this paper, we propose a genetic programming approach to manifold learning called GP-MaL which evolves functional mappings from a high-dimensional space to a lower dimensional space through the use of interpretable trees. We show that GP-MaL is competitive with existing manifold learning algorithms, while producing models that can be interpreted and re-used on unseen data. A number of promising future directions of research are found in the process.
KeywordsManifold learning Genetic programming Dimensionality reduction Feature construction
- 3.Dheeru, D., Karra Taniskidou, E.: UCI machine learning repository (2017). http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml
- 8.Lensen, A., Xue, B., Zhang, M.: Automatically evolving difficult benchmark feature selection datasets with genetic programming. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO, pp. 458–465. ACM (2018)Google Scholar
- 15.Poli, R., Langdon, W.B., McPhee, N.F.: A Field Guide to Genetic Programming. Lulu.com, Morrisville (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Rodriguez-Coayahuitl, L., Morales-Reyes, A., Escalante, H.J.: Structurally layered representation learning: towards deep learning through genetic programming. In: Castelli, M., Sekanina, L., Zhang, M., Cagnoni, S., García-Sánchez, P. (eds.) EuroGP 2018. LNCS, vol. 10781, pp. 271–288. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77553-1_17CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Sun, Y., Xue, B., Zhang, M., Yen, G.G.: A particle swarm optimization-based flexible convolutional auto-encoder for image classification. IEEE Trans. Neural Netw. Learn. Syst. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1109/TNNLS.2018.2881143
- 19.Sun, Y., Yen, G.G., Yi, Z.: Evolving unsupervised deep neural networks for learning meaningful representations. IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1109/TEVC.2018.2808689