Differential Fault Attacks on KLEIN
- 566 Downloads
This paper proposes two Differential Fault Attacks on the lightweight block cipher KLEIN. Variant one targets the intermediate state of the cipher. Using at least five faulty ciphertexts, the attacker is able to determine the last round key. The second variant, which works only on KLEIN-64, injects a byte-fault in the key schedule and requires at least four faulty ciphertexts in order to determine the whole key. Furthermore, we demonstrate the efficiency of both attack methods by simulation.
KeywordsDifferential fault analysis Fault attack Key schedule Lightweight block cipher KLEIN
We would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments and suggestions on the paper, as these helped us to improve it. This work was partly funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research in the project HQS through grant number 16KIS0616.
- 4.Cunyang, F., Yuechuan, W., Xiaozhong, P.: A differential fault analysis method for KLEIN cipher. Comput. Appl. Softw. 32, 6 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Dunkelman, O., Keller, N.: The effects of the omission of last round’s mixcolumns on AES. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2010/041 (2010). https://eprint.iacr.org/2010/041
- 10.Piret, G., Quisquater, J.-J.: A differential fault attack technique against SPN structures, with application to the AES and Khazad. In: Walter, C.D., Koç, Ç.K., Paar, C. (eds.) CHES 2003. LNCS, vol. 2779, pp. 77–88. Springer, Heidelberg (2003). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-45238-6_7CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 11.NIST FIPS Pub. 197: Advanced encryption standard (AES). Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 197(441):0311 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, Y.-J., Ren, Q.-Y., Zhang, S.-Y.: Differential fault attack on lightweight block cipher KLEIN. Tongxin Xuebao/J. Commun. 37, 111–115 (2016). 10Google Scholar
- 14.Yoshikawa, H., Kaminaga, M., Shikoda, A., Suzuki, T.: Round addition DFA on lightweight block ciphers with on-the-fly key scheduling. Int. J. Math. Comput. Sci. 9(9), 1 (2006)Google Scholar