Psychometric Properties of the Elderly Nursing Core Set
Aim: To assess the psychometric properties of the Elderly Nursing Core Set.
Methods: Cross-sectional descriptive study; convenience sample composed of 427 individuals aged 65 years old or older.
Results: Factor analysis of principal components allowed extracting 4 concepts, i.e., Self-Care, Learning and Mental Functions, Communication, and Relationship with Friends and Caregivers, which explained 82.25% of the total variance. Varimax rotation indicated a very good measure of sampling adequacy (KMO = 0.947), with Bartlett’s test of sphericity (X2(300) = 11131.28, p < 0.001) and an excellent Cronbach’s alpha value of 0.963.
Conclusion: The Elderly Nursing Core Set exhibits excellent psychometric properties, i.e., consistency, reliability, and internal validity, for which reason it is recommended as a means of determining the nursing care needs of individuals aged 65 years old or older and assessing the outcomes of nursing interventions targeting that population.
KeywordsAgeing International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health
- 3.Direcção-Geral da Saúde (DGS): Translation of: World Health Organization (resolution WHA54.21). International classification of functioning, disability and health (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.European Commission (EC): Population, Key figures on Europe – 2014 edition. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union (2014). ISSN 2315-201XGoogle Scholar
- 8.Marôco, J.: Análise Estatística com Utilisação do SPSS [Statistical Analysis using SPSS], 6th edn., p. 990. Edições Silabo (2014). ISBN: 9789899676343Google Scholar
- 10.Orem, D.E.: Nursing: Concepts of Practice, 6th edn. Mosby, St. Louis (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Pereira, C., Fonseca, C., Escoval, A., Lopes, M.: Contributo para a classificação da funcionalidade na população com mais de 65 anos, segundo a classificação internacional de funcionalidade. Revista Portuguesa de Saúde Pública 19(1), 52–62 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Shen, P., Chen, C.: The WHO’s international classification of functioning, disability, and health (ICF): essential knowledge for nurses. Hu Li Za Zhi (J. Nurs.) 59(6), 92–97 (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.The United Nations 2012 Population Projections (UN). Popul. Dev. Rev. 39(3), 551–555 (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.World Bank (WB): The World Bank Annual Report 2014: Year in Review, p. 67 (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhu, H.: Correctly selection methods of building up a model function of known categories in SPSS 16.0. J. Capital Inst. Phys. Educ. 26(1), 91–96 (2014)Google Scholar