A Post-Liberal Society?
Post-liberalism is a term which come in for a lot of attention recently, and its exact nature as a concept has been the subject of much debate. Since this book has been defending liberal democracy (again, interpreted in a broad sense), the relationship between it and post-liberalism needs to be addressed. The chapter concedes that liberal democracy requires reform, but questions whether that means it should become post-liberal in the far right’s conception of the notion, which is more like ‘illiberalism’ than an extension of the liberal ethos as currently understood. Illiberalism is very much tied up with the post-truth movement, and at that point the threat post-truth poses to liberal democratic ideals becomes very apparent. John Gray’s work on both liberalism and post-liberalism is discussed, and his belief in the virtue of a ‘postmodern liberal conservatism’ to prevent the spread of illiberalism considered.
- Fukuyama, Francis, The End of History and the Last Man, London: Penguin, 1992.Google Scholar
- ———. Trust: The Social Virtues and the Creation of Prosperity, New York: Free Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- Goodhart, David, ‘The Next Big Thing? Blue Labour and Red Tory: The Age of Post-Liberalism’, Prospect (October 2011), www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/blue-labour-red-tory (accessed 16 January 2018).
- ———. ‘A Postliberal Future?’, Demos Quarterly (17 January 2014), quarterly.demos.co.uk/article/issue-1/a-postliberal-future (accessed 13 January 2018).
- Gray, John, Liberalism, Milton Keynes: Open University Press, 1986.Google Scholar
- ———. Post-Liberalism: Studies in Political Thought, New York and London: Routledge, 1993.Google Scholar
- ‘Hate Speech Is Not Free’, New Scientist (24 February 2018), p. 3.Google Scholar
- Laclau, Ernesto, and Chantal Mouffe, Hegemony and Socialist Strategy: Towards a Radical Democratic Politics , 2nd edn, London and New York: Verso, 2001.Google Scholar
- Lyotard, Jean-François, The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge , trans. Geoff Bennington and Brian Massumi, Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1984.Google Scholar
- Sim, Stuart, ed., Post Marxism: A Reader, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- Smith, Adam, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, Books I–III , ed. R.H. Campbell, A.S. Skinner, and W.B. Todd, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1976.Google Scholar