Assessment of Higher Education in Brazil, the United States, and the Netherlands: Enhancing Quality or a Regulation Instrument?
This study aims to analyze and compare the relationship between offer configuration and assessment models for higher education in Brazil, the United States, and the Netherlands. The analysis is derived from original empirical research. The research was documentary in form and analyzed higher education census material from three countries, considering the rules that institute and implement higher educational national assessment systems. Conclusions show that the role of the state, regarding higher education, is similar in Brazil and the United States, where the predominance of offerings are private. In these countries, assessment focuses on regulation of the system—the results of which are used to drive accountability. In the Netherlands, the state is principally responsibility for higher education offerings—accreditation procedures aim to improve and maintain the quality of the higher education system.
KeywordsHigher education quality Higher education assessment Higher education regulation
- American Council on Education (ACE). (2004). An Overview of Higher Education in the United States Diversity, Access and the Role of the Marketplace. Washington, DC: American Council on Education.Google Scholar
- Brasil. Lei 10.861 de 14 de abril de 2004. Retrieved from http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/_ato2004-2006/2004/lei/l10.861.htm.
- Eaton, Judith S. (2015). An Overview of U.S. Accreditation. Washington, DC: Council for Higher Education Accreditation.Google Scholar
- Instituto Nacional de Estudos e Pesquisas Educacionais Anísio Teixeira (INEP). (2017). Sinopses Estatísticas da Educação Superior 2016. Brasília: Inep. Retrieved from http://portal.inep.gov.br/web/guest/sinopses-estatisticas-da-educacao-superior.
- NUFFIC. (2015, January). Education System—The Netherlands—The Dutch Education System Described. Nuffic, versão 4. Retrieved from https://www.nuffic.nl/en/publications/find-a-publication/education-system-the-netherlands.pdf.
- NVAO. (2016). Assessment Framework for the Higher Education Accreditation System of the Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Sguissardi, V. (2002) Educação superior no limiar do novo século: traços internacionais e marcas domésticas. Retrieved from http://www.redalyc.org/articulo.oa?id=189118078010.
- UNESCO. International Institute for Education Planning (IIEP). (2017). Six Ways to Ensure Higher Education Leaves No One Behind. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Education. Overview of Accreditation in the United States. Retrieved from https://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation.html#Overview.
- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. (2017). Digest of Education Statistics 2016. Washington, DC: Claitor’s Publishing Division. Google Scholar
- Verhine, R. E., & Freitas, A. A. (2012). A avaliação da educação superior: modalidades e tendências no cenário internacional. Retrieved from http://www.revistaensinosuperior.gr.unicamp.br/edicoes/ed07_outubro2012/ARTIGO_PRINCIPAL.pdf.