Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality: New Drivers for Fashion Retail?
This chapter is conceptual in nature and focuses on more recent technological innovations that have been implemented within the fashion industry, namely Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR). The technology acceptance model (TAM) will be utilised to further evaluate the perceived usefulness and the ease of use of AR and VR from a consumer perspective, by drawing on current fashion examples. The chapter concludes by highlighting future directions for research.
KeywordsAugmented Reality Virtual Reality Drivers Barriers Fashion
- Alibaba Group. (2016). Buy+ The first complete VR shopping experience. YouTube (Online). Retrieved October 22, 2018, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcKRBKlilg.
- Andone, D., & Frydenberg, M. (2017). Experiences in online collaborative learning with augmented reality. eLearning & Software for Education, 2, 239–246.Google Scholar
- Arthur, R. (2017). 10 Fashion brands nailing their Snapchat content strategy. Meltwater (Online). Retrieved October 25, 2018, from https://www.meltwater.com/blog/10-fashion-brands-nailing-their-snapchat-content-strategy/.
- BOF and McKinsey & Company. (2017). The state of fashion 2018. Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://cdn.businessoffashion.com/reports/The_State_of_Fashion_2018.pdf?utm_source=articlepage&utm_medium=marketingmodule&utm_campaign=Mckinsey.
- Clark, T. (2018, October 29). Debenhams store close list ‘negotiating tactic’ say property experts. Drapers. Retrieved October 30, 2018, from https://www.drapersonline.com/7032806.article?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DR_EditorialNewsletters.Paid:%20Send%20-%20Daily%20News&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT0RObE1UVTNaV0ZrTVdSaSIsInQiOiJzaVFqMElBRGJ3MXZtMk5DVmhnYXJkVGI0MnluYW9keTZYZWNXelVNTCtHMHFaWUZNUGIzMHh2RzFMMHNVWnFDaldWc1ZzaFM5V0hXenpUXC9yZVBvb1wvbDdRVVpJSlo0cERxeUJLR0pjRGRlNW1acStnZCtwVzVra0J5OW96SkZIIn0%3D.
- Daniel, E. (2018). Could smart mirrors change the way we shop? Verdict (Online). Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://www.verdict.co.uk/smart-mirrors-shopping-retail/.
- Dickinson, C. (2017). Playful design - Emerging VM & store design trend. Retrieved March 28, 2018, from https://www-wgsn-com.arts.idm.oclc.org/content/board_viewer/#/72970/page/6.
- Eakin, H., Wightman, P. M., Hsu, D., Gil Ramón, V. R., Fuentes-Contreras, E., Cox, M. P., Hyman, T. A. N., Pacas, C., Borraz, F., González-Brambila, C., & Ponce de León Barido, D. (2015). Information and communication technologies and climate change adaptation in Latin America and the Caribbean: A framework for action. Climate and Development, 7(3), 208–222.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- EUGDPR. (2018). EU General data protection regulations (GDPR). EUGDPR (Online). Retrieved October 26, 2018, from https://eugdpr.org.
- Geoghegan, J. (2017, August 8). Oasis invites shoppers on in-store virtual safari. Drapers. Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://www.drapersonline.com/news/oasis-invites-shoppers-onin-store-virtual-safari/7025096.article.
- Gibbs, S. (2017). Augmented reality: Apple and Google’s next battleground. The Guardian (Online). Retrieved October 22, 2018, from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/30/ar-augmented-reality-apple-google-smartphone-ikea-pokemon-go.
- Hardy, E. (2018, April 16). Footfall falls in March as shoppers abandon high street. Retail Week. Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://www.retail-week.com/data/footfall-falls-in-march-asshoppers-abandon-highstreet/7028868.article?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTW1Wak5HWmxORGswTmpJeiIsInQiOiJOYXJqOFY3YmU4MFN5Q3h2OGNiVDM1NUJYSWhVZGdjaHBwUFlYdUI1NUZYNHJjSDNSWXVSQmwySkM1UUdHS2FibFNCZTRySlFlUzROT05jb0JIWTV6eVczTE5jSVBaeWlWbjkzNitBUDFMeUdjUUlXelEzWm9lc01seVZwa2U2MiJ9&authent=1.
- Hetherington, J. (2018). Amazon smart mirror could change the way people buy clothes online. IBTimes (Online). Retrieved October 26, 2018, from https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/amazon-smart-mirror-could-change-way-people-buy-clothes-online-1653757.
- Hill, A. (2017). Unrealistic expectations put millennials at risk of burnout. FT (Online). Retrieved October 26, 2018, from https://www.ft.com/content/be3289be-2c3e-11e7-bc4b-5528796fe35c.
- Holden, L. (2018). Generation perfection: Are twentysomething millenials suffering a mental health crisis. The Times (Online). Retrieved October 26, 2018, from https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/generation-perfection-are-twentysomething-millennials-suffering-a-mental-health-crisis-qw59q03p5.
- Holition. (2018). UNIQLO. Holition (Online). Retrieved October 26, 2018, from https://holition.com/portfolio/uniqlo.
- Hwangbo, H., Kim, S. Y., & Cha, K. J. (2017). Use of the smart store for persuasive marketing and immersive customer experiences: A case study of Korean apparel enterprise. Mobile Information Systems, 2017, 1–17.Google Scholar
- Insider UK. (2018). Boohoo posts soaring first quarter sales. Insider UK (Online). Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://www.insider.co.uk/company-results-forecasts/boohoo-shares-profits-revenues-retailer-12686914.
- Isaac, A. (2016). Snapchat for brands: What does it take to make an impact? Telegraph (Online). Retrieved October 22, 2018, from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/connect/better-business/how-businesses-make-an-impact-on-snapchat/.
- Javornik, A. (2016a). The mainstreaming of augmented reality: A brief history. Harvard Business Review (Online). Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://hbr.org/2016/10/the-mainstreaming-of-augmented-reality-a-brief-history.
- Javornik, A. (2016c). “Reality is in the air” Concept of perceived augmentation and exploration of its impact on consumer experience. PhD thesis, Università della Svizzera italiana. Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/43674140.pdf.
- Javornik, A. (2014). Classifications of augmented reality uses in marketing. International symposium on mixed and augmented reality, Munich, Germany, 8–12 September. Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://doi.org/10.1109/ISMAR-AMH.2014.6935441.
- Jiang, E. (2017, February 28). Virtual reality: Growth engine for fashion? BOF (Online). Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/fashion-tech/virtual-reality-growthengine-for-fashion.
- Jung, T., & Dieck, M. C. (Eds.). (2017). Augmented reality and virtual reality: Empowering human, place and business. Chams: Springer.Google Scholar
- Kain, E. (2016). Virtual reality is just an over-priced gimmick, nothing more. Forbes (Online). Retrieved October 26, 2018, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/10/15/virtual-reality-is-just-an-over-priced-gimmick/#14af1f3f137d.
- Kim, H.-Y., Lee, J. Y., Mun, J. M., & Johnson, K. K. P. (2017). Consumer adoption of smart in-store technology: Assessing the predictive value of attitude versus beliefs in the technology acceptance model. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 10(2), 26–36.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kipper, G., & Rampolla, J. (2012). Augmented reality: An emerging technologies guide to AR. Boston, MA: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Landa, M. (2015). Problems analysis and solutions for the establishment of augmented reality technology in maintenance and education. Tampere University of Technology.Google Scholar
- Lau, H. F., Lau, K. W., & Kan, C. W. (2013). The future of virtual environments: The development of virtual technology. Computer Science and Information Technology, 1(1), 41–50.Google Scholar
- Llopis, G. (2014). Consumers are no longer brand loyal. Forbes (Online). Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/glennllopis/2014/12/10/consumers-are-no-longer-brand-loyal/#faf13bc2ae07.
- Mann, M. K., Liu-Thompkins, Y., Watson, G. S., & Papelis, Y. E. (2015). A multidisciplinary examination of 3D virtual shopping environments: Effects on consumer perceptual and physiological responses. In Ideas in marketing: Finding the new and polishing the old (pp. 752–755). Springer International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Marian, P. (2015, January 16). Fashion retailer Neiman Marcus unveils digital ‘memory mirror’. Retail Week. Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://www.retail-week.com/technology/fashionretailer-neiman-marcus-unveils-digital-memory-mirror/5068142.article?authent=1.
- Mintel. (2017). Brits hung up on online fashion. London: Mintel.Google Scholar
- Mintel. (2018). UK: Zara to introduce augmented reality on window display. Retrieved October 29, 2018, from http://academic.mintel.com.arts.idm.oclc.org/sinatra/oxygen_academic/display/id=887095?highlight.
- Moorhouse, N., tom Dieck, M. C., & Jung, T. (2017). Technological innovations transforming the consumer retail experience: A review of literature. In T. Jung & M. C. tom Dieck (Eds.), Augmented reality and virtual reality - empowering human, place and business (pp. 133–142). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Newbold, A. (2018). Karl Lagerfeld unveils Kaia Gerber capsule collection. Vogue (Online). Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/karl-lagerfeld-unveils-kaia-gerber-capsule-collection.
- Poulter, S. (2010). Magic mirrors: Screen lets you try on outfits … without taking your clothes off. DailyMail (Online). Retrieved October 26, 2018, from https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1286960/The-magic-mirror-Screen-lets-try-outfits%2D%2Dtaking-clothes-off.html.
- Reality. (2018). Augmented reality. Reality Technologies (Online). Retrieved October 22, 2018, from https://www.realitytechnologies.com/augmented-reality/.
- Rubin, P. (2018). The wired guide to virtual reality. Wired (Online). Retrieved October 22, 2018, from https://www.wired.com/story/wired-guide-to-virtual-reality/.
- Statista. (2017). Average time spent on social media. Statista (Online). Retrieved October 22, 2018, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/800821/average-daily-time-spent-social-media-teens-young-adults/.
- Telegraph. (2018). Magic mirror to take stress out of shopping. Telegraph (Online). Retrieved October 29, 2018, from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9139839/Magic-mirror-to-take-stress-out-of-shopping.html.
- VRS (Virtual Reality Society). (2017). What is virtual reality? VRS (Online). Retrieved October 22, 2018, from https://www.vrs.org.uk/virtual-reality/what-is-virtual-reality.html.
- Walker, R. (2016). Fears grow for children addicted to online games. The Guardian (Online). Retrieved October 26, 2018, from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/06/fears-children-addicted-online-games.
- Yuen, S. C. Y., Yaoyuneyong, G., & Johnson, E. (2011). Augmented reality: An overview and five directions for AR in education. Journal of Educational Technology Development and Exchange (JETDE), 4(1), 11.Google Scholar