The Importance of Culture in Managing Mental Health Response to Pandemics
Despite their global threat, all infectious outbreaks initially occur in localized parts of the world. The culture of an affected society, therefore, plays an integral role in the perceptions of illness and societal willingness implementing measures to counter an outbreak. Cultural beliefs and values can significantly contribute to either the spreading or the mitigation of an outbreak. Identification and inclusion of the cultural parameters of the epidemic can be instrumental in the development of an efficient control strategy.
KeywordsCultural aspect Pandemic outbreak Epidemic outbreak Ebola Cholera International health
The Authors sincerely thank Tayo Akadiri, MS III, for the research on this chapter.
- 3.BMC. When culture meets epidemic: the case of Ebola – On Medicine. 2015 Apr 23. Retrieved from https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/on-medicine/2015/04/23/culture-ebola/
- 5.Faregh N, Kemo S, Tounkara A. Rethinking the role of culture in mental health after the Ebola epidemic | The Lancet Global Health Blog. 2016 Nov 4. Retrieved September 1, 2018, from http://globalhealth.thelancet.com/2016/11/04/rethinking-role-culture-mental-health-after-ebola-epidemic
- 6.Grimaud J, Legagneur F. Community beliefs during a cholera outbreak intervention. 2011;9(1):26–34.Google Scholar
- 7.Hewlett BS, Hewlett BL. Ebola, culture, and politics: the anthropology of an emerging disease. Belmont: Cengage Learning; 2007.Google Scholar
- 8.IASC. Mental health and psychosocial support in Ebola virus disease outbreaks. 2015. Retrieved September 1, 2018, from http://www.who.int/mental_health/emergencies/ebola_guide_for_planners.pdf
- 9.Li V. Ebola, emerging: the limitations of culturalist discourses in epidemiology. J Glob Health. 2014. http://www.ghjournal.org/ebola-emerging-the-limitations-of-culturalist-discourses-in-epidemiology/.
- 11.Peters A. The importance of culture in managing epidemics: what Ebola can teach us about Zika – GCSP. 2016 Feb 10. Retrieved August 30, 2018, from https://www.gcsp.ch/News- Knowledge/Global-insight/The-Importance-of-Culture-in-Managing-Epidemics-What-Ebola-can- teach-us-about-Zika
- 14.UNESCO. UNESCO’s responseto Ebola: strategy paper. 2014. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact
- 15.WHO. Ebola response: what needs to happen in 2015. 2015. Retrieved August 30, 2018, from http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/one-year-report/response-in-2015/en/
- 16.World Health Organization. Cholera. Geneva: World Health Organzation, Media Centre; 2012 Jul. Fact sheet no. 107; http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs107/en. [Context Link]. http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/dengue-and-severe-dengue
- 17.World Health Organization: African traditional medicine day. 2010. http://ahm.afro.who.int/special-issue14/ahm-special-issue-14.pdf.