Forecast of Port Container Throughput Based on TEI@I Methodology
Forecasting container throughput accurately is crucial to the success of any port operation policy. At present, prediction of container throughput is mainly based on traditional time series analysis or single artificial neural network technology. Recent study shows that the combined forecast model enjoys more precise forecast result than monomial forecast approach. In this study, a TEI@I hybrid forecasting model is proposed, which is based on ARIMA (autoregressive integrated moving average model) and BP neural network. Under the proposed framework, ARIMA model can be first used to predict linear component, then using BP neural network to predict the error of ARIMA model which is the nonlinear component. The new method is applied to forecasting the container throughput of Qingdao Port, one of the most important ports of China. The empirical results show that this prediction method has higher prediction accuracy than the single prediction method.
KeywordsTEI@I methodology BP neural network ARIMA model Container throughput Forecasting
This work is supported by the Natural Science Foundation of China (nos. 61472231, 61502283, 61640201), Ministry of Education of Humanities and Social Science Research Project, China (12YJA630152), Social Science Fund Project of Shandong Province, China (16BGLJ06, 11CGLJ22).
- 4.Dragan, D., Kramberger, T., Intihar, M.: A comparison of methods for forecasting the container throughput in north Adriatic ports. In: IAME 2014 Conference, Norfolk, VA, USA (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, W.C., Wu, S.C., Cheng, P.L., Yu, Z.H.: Application of grey theory to the transport demand forecast from the viewpoint of life cycle-example for the container port in Taiwan. J. Marit. Sci. 12, 171–185 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, C., Huang, L., Zhao, Z.: Research on combination forecast of port cargo throughput based on time series and causality analysis. J. Ind. Eng. Manag. 6(1), 124–134 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang, J.W., Suo, L.N., Qi, X.N., et al.: Inflation forecasting method based on TEI@I methodology. Syst. Eng. Theory Pract. 30(12), 2157–2164 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, Q., Zhang, C.: Grey prediction of China grain production with TEI@I methodology. In: IEEE International Conference on Grey Systems and Intelligent Services, pp. 253–260. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.Qian, X.S.: Creating Systematology. Shanxi Science and Technology Publishing House, Taiyuan (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, S.Y.: TEI@I: a new methodology for studying complex systems. In: R. Workshop on Complexity Science, Tsukuba, pp. 22–23 (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.Zhong, S.: Stability Theory of Neural Network. First edn. Science Press, Beijing Google Scholar