Numerical Simulation of Glide Slope Signal Interferences by Irregular Ground
This paper focuses on the performance degradation of glide slope (GS). GS guides pilots regarding their vertical position with respect to an approach path that is formed using ground-reflections. Irregular ground features are known to scatter electromagnetic waves and produce positional errors. Numerical simulations can provide possible solutions for predicting unexpected influences of these scattered electromagnetic waves. We discuss numerical techniques based on the ray-tracing method for two and three dimensional ground models. Propagation paths are estimated from the shortest path along a straight line between a source and a receiver. We discuss how the proposed numerical method works for different ground shapes.
The work was supported in part by a Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) (16K18072) from Japan Society for Promotion of Science.
- 1.ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization): Aeronautical Telecommunications, Annex 10, vol. 1, 6th edn. (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Chin, G., Jordan, L., Kahn, D., Morin, S.: Instrument landing system performance prediction. IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, pp. 346–348, May 1975Google Scholar
- 3.Redlich, R.W., Gorman, J.T.: Disturbance of ILS localizer signals by reflections from large hangers. IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Sys. AES-5, 1001–1002 (1969)Google Scholar
- 4.Shin, S.L.: ILS localizer multipath analysis. IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Sys. AES-7(1), 54–60 (1971)Google Scholar
- 5.Thain, A., Estienne, J.-P., Robert, J., Peres, G., Cambon, G., Evain, L., Splitz, B.: A solution for ILS disturbance due to a building. In: Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on Antenna and Propagation (EuCAP), pp. 2392–2395, March 2012Google Scholar
- 6.Thain, A., Estienne, J.P., Peres, G., Spitz, B., Evain, L., Kumar, M.: Comparisons of different approaches for ILS simulation. In: Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Antenna and Propagation (EuCAP), Barocelona, Spain, pp. 1–5, April 2010Google Scholar
- 7.Geise, R., Schueuer, J., Thiele, L., Notte, K., Beckers, T., Enders, A.: A slotted waveguide setup as scaled instrument-landing-system for measuring scattering of an A380 and large objects. In: Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2010), Barcelona, Spain, pp. 227–231, April 2010Google Scholar
- 8.Greving, G., Biermann, W.D.: Theoretical aspect and numerical solution of scattered from objects under grazing angle incidence - the A380 and the Aircraft Tailfin. In: Proceedings of the 37th European Microwave Conference, Munich, Germany, pp. 1369–1372, October 2007Google Scholar
- 10.Luebbers, R., Ungvichian, V., Mitchell, L.: GTD terrain reflection model applied to ILS glide scope. IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Sys. AES-18, 11–20 (1982)Google Scholar
- 13.Honda, J., Otsuyama, T.: Estimation of target detection rate in aircraft surveillance system. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems (NBiS 2014), Salerno, Italy, pp. 561–565, September 2014Google Scholar
- 14.Honda, J., Otsuyama, T.: Rapid computation algorithm for radio wave propagation characteristics on airport surface. In: Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Complex Intelligent and Software Intensive Systems (CISIS 2014), Birmingham, United Kingdom, pp. 302–306, July 2014Google Scholar
- 15.Honda, J., Uchida, K., Yoon, K.Y.: Estimation of radio communication distance along random rough surface. IEICE Trans. ELECTRON. E93-C(1), 39–45 (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Takematsu, M., Uchida, K., Honda, J.: Method for reduction of field computation time for discrete ray tracing method. IEICE Trans. Electron. E97-C(3), 198–206 (2014)Google Scholar