Is QUIC Quicker Than TCP?
TCP is a well-known protocol used by many web applications. However, to address the shortcomings of TCP including connection setup time and congestion response time, Google developed QUIC (Quick UDP Internet Connection). QUIC, a UDP based protocol which is similar to TCP + HTTP/2 + TLS has several advantages over modern TCP including highly reduced connection initiation time, improved congestion control and better connection migration. This paper explores how performance of TCP and QUIC is affected under different network and control parameters like bandwidth, added delay, packet loss, spikes and number of flows.
KeywordsQUIC TCP UDP TLS HTTP2.0
- 2.Bouzas, S.: Why the meteoric rise of google quic is worrying mobile operators. https://2nuzlzatrf-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/Chart-for-25Jan18-blog.jpg. Accessed 01 Dec 2018
- 3.Carlucci, G., De Cicco, L., Mascolo, S.: HTTP over UDP: an experimental investigation of QUIC. In: Proceedings of the 30th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 609–614. ACM (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Cook, S., Mathieu, B., Truong, P., Hamchaoui, I.: QUIC: better for what and for whom? In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2017) (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.De Coninck, Q., Bonaventure, O.: Multipath QUIC: design and evaluation. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on emerging Networking Experiments and Technologies, pp. 160–166. ACM (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Google: Playing with QUIC. https://www.chromium.org/quic/playing-with-quic. Accessed 01 Dec 2018
- 7.Jain, R.: Fairness: how to measure quantitatively? ATMF/94-0881 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Langley, A., Riddoch, A., Wilk, A., Vicente, A., Krasic, C., Zhang, D., Yang, F., Kouranov, F., Swett, I., Iyengar, J., et al.: The quic transport protocol: design and internet-scale deployment. In: Proceedings of the Conference of the ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communication, pp. 183–196. ACM (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Lin, F., Li, X., Li, W.: Research on TCP protocol in wireless network and network simulation. In: 4th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, WiCOM 2008, pp. 1–4. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, X., Cheng, L., Bhargava, B., Zhao, Z.: Experimental study of TCP and UDP protocols for future distributed databases (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Lychev, R., Jero, S., Boldyreva, A., Nita-Rotaru, C.: How secure and quick is quic? Provable security and performance analyses. In: 2015 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (SP), pp. 214–231. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Megyesi, P., Krämer, Z., Molnár, S.: How quick is QUIC? In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar