On the Use of the Finite Element Method for the Design of Offshore Wind Turbine Foundations
This paper provides an introduction to the geotechnical design of Offshore Wind Turbine (OWT) foundations using the Finite Element Method (FEM). Procedures for incorporating the FEM in the design process are proposed under particular consideration of the practical application to commercial projects, where foundation design is done in a serial production. The proposed procedures allow to streamline the design process and enable to optimize the foundation geometries of OWTs under given time and resource constraints of typical Offshore Wind Farm (OWF) development projects. Advantages and disadvantages are discussed using the example of the design of Monopiles and Suction Caissons.
The authors would like to thank the valuable contributions from Ana M. Page and Kristoffer Skau, which developed the RedWin models for Monopiles and Suction Caissons, respectively. The financial support by the Norwegian Research Council and the industrial partners Statoil, Vattenfall and Statkraft through the project ‘Reducing cost of offshore wind by integrated structural and geotechnical design (REDWIN)’, grant no. 243984, is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Burd, H.J., Byrne, B.W., McAdam, R.A., Houlsby, G.T., Martin, C.M., Beuckelaers W.J.A.P.: Proceedings of TC 209 Workshop (Foundation design of offshore wind structures): 19th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, pp. 35-44 (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Byrne, B.W., McAdam, R.A., Burd, H.J., Houlsby, G.T., Martin, C.M., Beuckelaers, W.J.A.P., Zdravkovic, L., Taborda, D.M.G., Potts, D.M., Jardine, R.J., Ushev, E., Liu, T., Abadias, D., Gavin, K., Igoe, D., Doherty, P, Skov, G.J., Pacheco, A.M., Muir, W.A., Schroeder, F.C., Turner, S., Plummer, M.A.L.: PISA: new design methods for offshore wind turbine monopiles. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference, 12–14 September 2017, pp. 142–161. Royal Geographical Society, London (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Jostad, H.P., Grimstad, G., Andersen, K.H., Saue, M., Shin, Y., You, D.: A FE procedure for foundation design of offshore structures applied to study a potential OWT Monopile Foundation in the Korean Western Sea, Norway, pp. 153–172 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Jostad, H.P., Andersen, K.H.: Calculation of undrained holding capacity of suction anchors in clays. Geotech. Eng. 45(4), 63–72 (2015). In: Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics III, Oslo, Norway, pp. 263–268Google Scholar
- 7.Skau, K.S., Page, A.M., Kaynia, A.M., Lvholt, F., Norn-Cosgriff, K., Sturm, H., Andersen, H.S., Nygard, T.A., Jostad, H.P., Eiksund, G.R., Havmller, O., Strm, P., Eichler, D.: REDWIN - REDucing cost in offshore WINd by integrated structural and geotechnical design. In: IOP Conference Series - Journal of Physics, EERA DeepWind 2018, Trondheim, Norway, 17–19 January 2018, Submitted for PublicationGoogle Scholar
- 8.Sturm, H.: Stabilisation Behaviour of Cyclically Loaded Shallow Foundations for Offshore Wind Turbines. Universitatsverlag Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Sturm H.: Design aspects of suction caissons for offshore wind turbine foundations. In: Proceedings of TC 209 Workshop (Foundation design of offshore wind structures): 19th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, pp. 45–63 (2017)Google Scholar