A New Protocol for Energy Harvesting Decode-and-Forward Relaying Networks
This paper investigates radio frequency energy harvesting decode-and-forward (DF) multi-relay networks with hybrid power transfer architecture, i.e. time switching (TS) combines with power splitting (PS). Specifically, this system consists of one source, one destination and multiple energy constraint relay nodes which help to the source transfer information to the destination over Nakagami fading channels. In order to improve the performance and reduce the load of this considered network, an efficient protocol for this system is proposed based on adaptive power splitting ratio adjustment and best relay selection. We aim to evaluate the performance of this considered system by deriving the closed-form expressions for the outage probability (OP) based on the statistical characteristics of signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). In addition, the results show that this scheme outperforms the random relay selection scheme, including transmit SNR, number of relays, active energy and fading severity factor. Our analysis is also verified by Monte Carlo simulation.
KeywordsEnergy harvesting Relay selection Power splitting Decode-and-forward Relaying network
This work was supported by the VSB-Technical University of Ostrava, Czech Republic - Networks and Telecommunications Technologies for Smart Cities under SGS Grant SP2018/59.
- 2.Ha, D.-B., Tran, D.-D., Tran-Ha, V., Hong, E.-K.: Performance of amplify-and-forward relaying with wireless power transfer over dissimilar channels. Elektronika ir Elektrotechnika J. 21(5), 90–95 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Tran, D.D., Tran-Ha, V., Ha, D.B., Tran, H., Kaddoum, G.: Performance analysis of two-way relaying system with radio frequency energy harvesting and multiple antennas. In: 2016 IEEE 84th Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC 2016-Fall, Montréal, Canada, 18–21 September 2016 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Ha, D.B., Nguyen, Q.S.: Outage performance of energy harvesting DF relaying NOMA networks. Mob. Netw. Appl. (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Xu, K., Shen, Z., Wang, Y., Xia, X.: Beam-domain hybrid times witching and power splitting SWIPT in full-duplex massive MIMO system. EURASIP J. Wirel. Commun. Network. (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.Yan, J., Zhang, C., Gao, Z.: Distributed relay selection protocols for simultaneous wireless information and power transfer. In: 2014 IEEE 25th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Montreal, QC, Canada, 08–13 October (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Nguyen, H.-S., Do, D.-T., Nguyen, T.-S., Voznak, M.: Exploiting hybrid time switching-based and power splitting-based relaying protocol in wireless powered communication networks with outdated channel state information. J. Control Meas. Electron. Comput. Commun. 58(1), 111–118 (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Singh, V., Ochiai, H.: A efficient time switching protocol with adaptive power splitting for wireless energy harvesting relay networks. In: IEEE 85th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring) (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhong, S., Huang, H., Li, R.: Performance analysis of energy-harvesting-aware multi-relay networks in Nakagami-m fading. EURASIP J. Wirel. Commun. Netw. (2018)Google Scholar