On-Line Efficiency-Optimization Control of Induction Motor Drives Using Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm
This paper proposes a method for optimizing the power efficiency of induction motor drives based on the Particle Swarm Optimization algorithm. The power efficiency is improved by adjusting the current magnetization component for a given load torque so that total loss of copper and iron could be minimized. To verify the effectiveness of the proposal method, the simulation in MATLAB/SIMULINK has been implemented and compared with the conventional Rotor Flux Oriented Control. The result shows that the proposed method has improved the power efficiency of the IM drives under the light load regime with a considerable loss reduction.
KeywordsInduction motor (IM) Rotor flux oriented control (RFOC) Loss minimization algorithm (LMA) Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO)
The paper was support by the Project reg. no. SP2018/162 – Student Grant Competition of VSB-Technical University of Ostrava, Research and development of advanced control methods of electrical controlled drivers, member of research team, 2018.
- 2.Li, J., Xu, L., Zhang, Z.: A new efficiency optimization method on vector control of induction motors. In: IEEE International Conference on Electric Machines and Drives, pp. 1995–2001 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Abdin, E.S., Ghoneem, G.A., Diab, H.M.M., Deraz, S.A.: Efficiency optimization of a vector-controlled induction motor drive using an artificial neural network. In: 29th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2003, pp. 2543–2548 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, Z., Xie, S., Yang, Y.: A radial basis function neural network based efficiency optimization controller for induction motor with vector control. In: International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments, ICEMI 2009, pp. 866–870 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Pokier, E., Ghribi, M., Kaddouri, A.: Loss minimization control of induction motor drives based on genetic algorithm. In: IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, IEMDC 2001, pp. 475–478 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Rouabah, Z., Zidani, F., Abdelhadi, B.: Efficiency optimization of induction motor drive using genetic algorithms. In: IEEE Transaction on Energy conservation, pp. 204–208 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Hamid, R.H.A., Amin, A.M.A., Ahmed, R.S., El-Gammal, A.A.A.: New technique for maximum efficiency of induction motors based on particle swarm optimization (PSO). In: IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, ISIE 2006, pp. 2176–2181 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Shi, Y., Eberhart, R.: A modified particle swarm optimizer. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 69–73 (1998)Google Scholar