JDP and Dominant Party System in Light of the Turkish-Ottoman/Republican-Imperial Cleavage
This chapter highlights the theoretical contribution of the book. It demonstrates how an overarching cleavage that is Ottoman-Turkish/Imperial-Republican explains the current dynamics in Turkish politics and society. This cleavage fits with how, following Justice and Development Party's (Adalet ve Kalkınma Parti, JDP) consolidation, the party and its leader began to attack all the values and symbols of the Republic. This chapter also explores the author’s observations of an extreme organisational structure and how this provided Erdoğan with advantages over other parties. It also discusses the 2018 referendum and legislative elections in Turkey from the angle of the incumbent party’s leadership, the other parties’ challenger position, and the JDP’s welfare and economy agenda.
- Bianet. (2017, May 29). Hitit Güneşi Kursu Tartışması Yeniden. Bianet. Available at: https://m.bianet.org/bianet/kultur/186894-hitit-gunesi-kursutartismasi-yeniden. Accessed 29 Feb 2019.
- Bilgin, A., & Öztürk, A. (Eds.). (2016). Political Culture of Turkey in the Rule of the AKP: Change and Continuity. Baden and Baden: Nomos.Google Scholar
- Çoşkun, B. B. (2015). Neighbourhood Narratives from “Zero Problems with Neighbours” to Precious Loneliness: Turkey’s Resecuritized Middle East Policy after the Arab Spring. In E. Monier (Ed.), Regional Insecurity After the Arab Uprisings (pp. 187–203). London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Diken. (2018, February 19). Selvi’ye göre Afrin harekatı Erdoğan’a yaradı: AKP’nin oyları yüzde 55’lere çıktı. Diken, [online]. Available at: http://www.diken.com.tr/selviye-gore-afrin-harekati-erdogana-yaradi-akpnin-oylari-yuzde-55lere-cikti/. Accessed 29 Feb 2019.
- Freedom House. (2018). Freedom House Report Turkey - 2018. Freedom House, [online]. Available at: https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedomworld/2018/turkey. Accessed 29 Feb 2019.
- Kaya, A. (2015). Islamisation of Turkey Under the AKP Rule: Empowering Family, Faith and Charity. South European Society and Politics, 20(1), 47–69.Google Scholar
- Lipset, S. M., & Rokkan, S. (1967). Cleavage Structures, Party System, and Voter Alignments: An Introduction. In S. M. Lipset & S. Rokkan (Eds.), Party Systems and Voter Alignments: Cross-National Perspectives (pp. 1–64). New York: Free Press.Google Scholar