Turning Caregivers into Informed Agents as a Strategy to Disseminate Scientific Information About Cancer
This paper reports on a case study at the National Cancer Institute (INCan), Mexico. Applied research in complex networks was conducted in order to tackle the problem of how to spread scientific information on cancer among economically and educationally disadvantaged social groups. The proposed model is based on a generalization of Axelrod’s Cultural Dissemination Model, with a bounded opinion formation, public authority model and a target culture. Informed agents were introduced in a social network in order to influence the culture in the network towards the scientific target culture, we analyze this dynamics within four different network topologies. We found that turning caregivers into informed agents is an actionable strategy highly dependent on the network’s topology. KEYWORDS: informed agents, information dissemination, applied complex networks, cancer.
KeywordsAgent based model Complex network Culture dissemination
ARC acknowledges support from the National Council on Science and Technology, through the Program Catedras Conacyt 479. FRA thanks the Centre for Complexity Science (C3), UNAM for hosting him as visiting researcher.
- 5.Kwon, S., Cha, M.: modeling bursty temporal pattern of rumors. In: Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference, pp. 650–651. Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Easton, P., Entwistle, V., Williams, B.: Health in the “hidden population” of people with low literacy. A systematic review of the literature. Public Health 10, 459 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Kleinman, A.: The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing, and the Human Condition. Basic Books, New York (1988)Google Scholar
- 10.Kang, C., Kraus, S., Molinaro, C., Spezzano, F., Subrahmanian, V.S.: Diffusion centrality: a paradigm to maximize spread in social networks. In: Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining, Conference Paper, pp. 558–568 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Fan, K., Pedrycz, W.: Opinion evolution influenced by informed agents. Physica A 06, 01–11 (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Wilensky, U.: Netlogo 6.04 center for connected learning and computer-based modeling. Northwestern University, Evanston. http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo