VazaZika: A Software Platform for Surveillance and Control of Mosquito-Borne Diseases
Mosquito-borne diseases negatively affect economically emerging countries. Nevertheless, the current public healthcare solutions are insufficient to support disease surveillance and control. The citizen engagement in reporting mosquito breeding sites is hard to achieve but essential in preventing disease outbreaks. This paper introduces the VazaZika platform aimed to support the surveillance and control of mosquito-borne diseases. This platform evolves the VazaDengue legacy platform with gamification. Through game elements and rules, we aim to make enjoyable and challenging to report mosquito breeding sites via VazaZika. Citizens are continuously rewarded as they perform tasks in the platform. They progress in levels that enable new tasks and jump in rankings according to the citizens’ location. Citizens can also join teams for engaging with challenges, which helps to develop a sense of belonging and connection against the spread of diseases. This paper reports the process of gamifying VazaDengue, the platform user interface and its conceptual model, aimed to support reuse.
KeywordsGamification Information system Web system Mobile system Public healthcare
This is work is funded by Newton Fund, FAPEAL under the grant #60030 1201/2016, and CAPES/Procad project under grant #175956.
- 2.Sousa, L., de Mello, R., Cedrim, D., Garcia, A., Missier, P., Uchôa, A., Oliveira, A., Romanovsky, A.: VazaDengue. Inf. Syst. (IS) 75, 26–42 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Missier, P., McClean, C., Carlton, J., Cedrim, D., Silva, L., Garcia, A., Plastino, A., Romanovsky, A.: Recruiting from the network. In: 17th International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE), pp. 437–445 (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Werbach, K., Hunter, D.: For the Win. Wharton Digital Press, Philadelphia (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Fernandes, E., Uchöa, A., Sousa, L., Oliveira, A., de Mello, R., Barroca, L.P., Carvalho, D., Garcia, A., Fonseca, B., Teixeira, L.: Research companion website (2018). Available at: https://anderson-uchoa.github.io/ITNG2019/
- 7.Grudin, J., Pruitt, J.: Personas, participatory design and product development. In: 4th Participation and Design Conference (PDC), pp. 144–152 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Martin, R.: Agile Software Development. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Herzig, P., Ameling, M., Schill, A.: A generic platform for enterprise gamification. In: 10th Joint Working Conference on Software Architecture and 6th European Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA-ECSA), pp. 219–223 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Kardan, A., Arani, A.K.: A novel gamification-based architecture for web environments. In: 2nd International Conference on Web Research (ICWR), pp. 125–130 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Fernandes, E., Silva, M.A., Cagnin, M.I.: Sigs-s: a web application and a mobile application for social and health care data management. Braz. J. Inf. Syst. 9(1), 81–100 (2016)Google Scholar